Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

On a 2004 JCB 214E, is there a way to bypass the hydraulic…

On a 2004 JCB 214E...
On a 2004 JCB 214E, is there a way to bypass the hydraulic pump for a manual lift of the bucket or retraction of the excavator? This machine has the Hydro-static transmission. Is it possible to isolate the excavator and bucket from the transmission so that it can be towed?
Answered in 5 days by:
8/20/2016
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help if you still need help. What is your machine serial number?

Thank you! The number with the "s/n" is SLP214TC4U0904259

Is this machine down and you need to get it on a trailer? assuming the backhoe bucket is on the ground?

I have a full service book in PDF if you are interested I can also send you the Premium service offer as well as an additional service.

The hose burst protection valves (if fitted) prevent the loaderor backhoe falling in the event of a hose burst. These valvesmay be fitted on rams which raise or lower the loader arms,the boom or the dipper.

Checking Hose Burst Protection Valve

1

Raise the loader arms fully. Raise the boom to about45°. Raise the dipper to the horizontal.

2

Stop the engine.

3

Using the control levers, try to lower the loader, boom and dipper. Push the levers fully to the 'lower' position.If there is any movement, get the hydraulic system checked by your JCB distributor

Lowering a Load

During normal operation, the engine must be running beforea load can be lowered. The following paragraphs describehow to safely and correctly lower a load in the event ofengine failure or a hose burst; we recommend that only acompetent maintenance engineer perform the procedures.After lowering a load do not use the machine until themanual over-ride screw has been reset (Loader HBPV) or anew end cap and valve assembly fitted (Boom HBPV) by aqualified engineer, otherwise the valve will not operate asintended.

!

DANGER

Do not stand underneath the raised load during thelowering procedure. Stand clear and to one side until theload has been safely lowered. Make sure that the area isclear of other people before lowering the load. If you donot follow these precautions you or others could bekilled or seriously injured.

2-3-5-3

Boom and Dipper Hose Burst Protection Valve (HBPV)1

Remove cap

A

and pierce the warning label.

2

If a hose has burst, position a suitable container tocatch the oil.

3

Insert a 6mm allen key into the socket head of screw

B.

Slowly turn the allen key in a clockwise direction untilthe load just begins move.Burst hose

-

Lower the boom using screw

B

, turn thescrew counter-clockwise to slow or stop the load fromlowering.Dead engine

-

Operate the control lever in the cab tolower the load.

Loader Hose Burst Protection Valve (HBPV)1

Remove cap

C

from both HBPVcheck valves on theloader lift arms.

2

3

On the burst hose HBPV, insert a 5mm allen key intothe socket head of screw

D.

Turn the allen key in aclockwise direction so that the screw winds fully in.Repeat slowly for the opposite side as the load is nowsupported on this HBPV.

Note

: Count the number of full turns on each screw forresetting purposes.

4

Operate the control lever in the cab to lower the load

The burst protection valve if equipped need to be backed off to allow movement of your cylinders while using another machine to raise the backhoe into the towing position. Let me know

Thank you Dan. Give me a day or two to get back over there and check if the unit is equiped with the valves.

Click on this link for the diagram and locations. Let me know

Dan, Technician
Hey Dan,
This unit appears to only have the valves on the outriggers. I pulled the battery and charged it. I was able to use the pump while cranking it to slightly lift the bucket and dipper. My thought here is that I can do this just enough to be able to get it on a trailer. The machine appears to have fuel delivery issues because I drained the fuel water filter and there is ALOT of trash in it. It would briefly start on starting fluid but that's not something I want to do a lot. I am going to have to trailer it off site to work that out.