Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a komatsu pc28uu-2 with no down pressure on the

boom/bucket. Everything else works fine...
I have a komatsu pc28uu-2 with no down pressure on the boom/bucket. Everything else works fine. It always has the blinking red indicator light on. I have taken the connectors apart on all 3 sensors on the boom and they each are getting 5 volts to the sensor and the resistance varies from 1 to 5k ohms on each. Any suggestions?
Answered in 2 days by:
8/11/2016
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi Paul, My name is***** you still need help with this? If so please post your machine serial number and I will be glad to try to help.

Serial number 11132

Thanks for the info. If your have 5 volts to the boom sensors, the voltage coming back will be between 0 and 5. If the wiring harness and sensors are good which is the most common cause then the next step is to check for a hydraulic issue. Check the oil and filter condition for fine metal or debris indicating a mechanical problem. Let me know the results and if we need to dig deeper.

The sensors do not have a dead spot and wiring is fine. I moved on the switched the two hyd hoses going to boom cylinder (just switched places of the two) . The boom lowered with pressure and would not raise. This tells me cyl is good. Then I switched the pilot pressure lines going to the boom valve and again it would lower and not raise. I beleive this tells me the control stick and pilot lines are good . I beleive now the boom valve is bad, do you argee and what's the next move as far as disassemble / cleaning/ inspection/ etc
I remove both hoses to the boom cylinder and the one that goes to the piston side (raise) always has fluid pouring out of it. I then moved and the controller to raise the bucket and same amount of fluid kept pouring out. Does this boom control valve have its own relief and if so how do you test ?

For the reliefs You will either need test gauges to verify the pressures are in OEM specs in the shop manual and also remove them to visually inspect for debris or damaged o rings causing them to stick open and bypass pressure. Click on this link to access the parts manual online to help in identifying your components.

Parts book

Do you have a service manual for this machine ( ref oem specs) or can you provide a more details description of how to do the non visual (like look for something obviously wrong) checks?

Hi Paul, I do not have the service book for the dash 2 and your serial number but what you are looking for is for metal/debris in the filter and in the relief valve cartridges for the control valve. Remove the complete assemblies and do not change the adjustment settings on the top adjusting screws. Look for damaged o rings ans for metal/debris causing them to stick open. If the filter has a lot of fine metal it is and indication of a pump or component failure occurring. Use the parts book link to Identify your valves and locations. Let me know

Dan, Technician