Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

Dear catmaster: I have a cat308B SR with a 4M40. I was

Customer Question

dear catmaster: I have a cat308B SR with a 4M40. I was running it for about two hours and I turned it off and it would not turn off. I removed the ignition switch and mislabeled two of the wires. Question:1 why did it not turn off.
2. what is the wiring line up. it has R1 thru like 5 and ACC/
(ignition made in japan)
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ronald my name is***** is your serial number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3YS02028 chasis #
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4M40
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

How many wires do you have to your switch? 4 wire switch or more?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Start diagram. Let me know if your switch is different.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
6 wire with 2 doubles. 1 is a black wire that reaches over to the next post. the other one is a double the big I thing black wire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay I got your pic's. but I do not understand where the wires go to (ie green to ?) the R #
s
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my wires don't have any numbers just colors
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm in the Philippines so I have no accese to a tech.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Some of the minis do things a bit different than the full size machines. What color wires do you have? Please take a photo or photos and upload it using the paperclip icon above the chat box

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Also look further down in the wiring to see if it goes into a connector where the opposite side of the connector has numbered wiring to help. Let me know

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ronald, Did you get this resolved?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Daniel sorry for the delay my email was screwed up and couldn't get your information. it's monsoon season here I will go back to the property and get the info you requested. p.s. today is our coding day and we can't drive. so it will be tomarrow
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the update Ronald. Let me know when you are able to access the machine. I log in as time allows in between jobs etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at the back of the ignition switch starting from the top and working clockwise. the following letters are on each post: top-C, 1-B, 2-R1, 3-R2, 4-BR, 5-ACC. the wiring colors are orange, gray, red (big), purple (small), purple (big), black (the black wire is connected between post 2 @ 3. The only wires that had numbers was orange 205 and gray 605. there both fade so possibly wrong. oh the machine is 24 volts.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

My Diagrams do not match the color codes you have. Maybe because its not a US machine. Im going to opt out in case another expert might have the proper diagram.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ronald. The closest to your machine I could get was for the US comparable 307B. The switch wiring is as follows

307B US MARKET KEY SWITCH-- NO 308B US MARKET -- 308C US MARKET
BR=322 BLUE WIRE (PREHEAT)18 GAGE ---- BR=303 BROWN WIRE (PREHEAT) 18 GAGE
ACC=112 PURPLE WIRE 10 GAGE ---- (all other wires are the same)
R1=310 PURPLE WIRE 18 GAGE
R2=(BLANK-NO WIRE)
C=307 ORANGE WIRE (STARTER RELAY)18 GAGE
B=105 RED WIRE (BATTERY POSITIVE) 10 GAGE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
some the wires I attached from what I had wrote down.
TOP- C
1-B= RED 10 GAUGE
2-R1= PURPLE 18 GAUGE WITH BLACK 18 GAUGE PIGGY BACKED ON R2.
3-R2=( THE PROBLEM) BUT PIGGY BACKED WITH WITH BLACK WIRE TO R1
4-BR=LIGHT BLUE 18 GAUGE
5-ACC=PURPLE WIRE 10 GAUGEI HAVE 2 LOOSE WIRES ORANGE AND GRAY BOTH 18 GAUGE
SO THE ORANGE IS THE C
MAYBE GRAY IS THE R2IF R2 AND R1 ARE CONNECTED TO EACH OTHER BY THE BLACK 18 GAUGE. IS THERE A DANGER IF I ATTACH THE GRAY TO R2?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE PURPLE R1 310 WIRE IS FOR?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Orange is C but I do not see the gray wire. I had a colleague of mine help with the pinouts but since yours is not a US machine the serial number and diagrams are not in the database which makes it a grey market machine for the US. That is the closest we can get for you from what you described.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I do not have the Diagram for your machine since it is grey market and it is not available to me. The true schematic is available through the country of origin the machine was made for.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I will work with what I got. how about the reason it wouldn't shut off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I attached it according the color diagram and mine. the orange was the kicker. the last one is the grey . I think that the number is ***** but could be wrong. I'm 90 percent sure that it is also attached to the ACC. it is 18 gauge . last wire
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the update Ronald. If the switch wiring was wrong it could have put power to the fuel shutoff when there is not supposed to be. Check to see if the fuel shut off is engaged when it should not be.