Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a gehl skidloader that makes a gh pitched squeal from…

I have a gehl skidloader...
I have a gehl skidloader that makes a high pitched squeal from the hydros when you get it up to operating temperature it will only make the noise when you turn to the left and when driving in reverse
To me it seems like a drive motor but I'm not getting any metal shavings or anything in the hydraulic filter wheel bearings are all good
It's a 2004 gehl 6640 2 speed machine
7/6/2016
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 6 years ago
Bradley Martin

Have you checked the chain tension? And chain case oil level?

I have oil level is good and chain tension is good
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 6 years ago

It only does this when it is in reverse and when the machine is warm?

It only does it when you turn the machine to the left and when you go in reverse and it has to be at operating temperature to make the noise
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 6 years ago

Do you have joysticks or push pull controls?

I have t bar controls one handle controls the driving other handle controls the loader all by linkage
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 6 years ago

Sounds like a swash plate on one of the drive motors might be getting stuck. Can you tell which drive motor the noise is coming from

It seems like it's coming from the left drive motor but it's really hard to tell for sure what would be the cause of the swash plate sticking?
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 6 years ago

How does the cable adjustment to the motors look? If the cables are out of adjustment it would cause this issue if you raise the cab there are two actuators on to of the pump you can adjust them in and out which ever way is better if all the wheels are off the ground do they stay in place or slowly move

There are no cables it's just a solid linkage system. I don't know for sure but my guess is that if I lift all wheels off the ground they will more than likely spin
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 6 years ago

I would start by raising the skid steer off the ground and adjust the rods and neutral centering mechanisms until the wheels do not turn while T-bar is in neutral and see if the squealing noise comes back after that

The noise is still there i got the neutral set perfectly and after more listening and with the help of my brother we both think the noise is coming from the drive control valves and not a drive motor is it possible there is a blown o ring or blown seal in the valves this machine only has 1600 hours on it so it seems very early for a drive motor to be going out and like I said before there is no metal in the hydro oil and it doesn't turn dark colored
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 6 years ago

It is possible the control valves could have a blown o-ring have you pulled one of the valves and checked the o-rings yet

Haven't tried taking anything apart yet that's the project for this weekend
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 6 years ago

Ok let me know what you find

Could there be a blockage In the tandem pump or something else going on
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 6 years ago

I doubt it would be a pump problem if that was the case it would do it all the time not just in reverse and steering left

I checked the valves and can't find anything wrong could one of the relief valves be bad how hard is it to replace them
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 6 years ago

What relief valve are you thinking about can you attach a picture?

I took one off last night couldn't tell if there was anything wrong with it what should I be looking for in never looked at the second one yet
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 6 years ago

Really not much to look for besides seals and o-rings I have just replaced them have you tooken it apart and inspected it yet

I will have to take them both off when I get them off the pump how do you get them apart down to the o rings would it just be easier to replace them or are they probably expensive? Thanks
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 6 years ago

You should be able to unscrew the side of them inside there will be some o-rings and wiper seals and it has been a while since I bought one but I think it was around 300 for a new valve

Have you also checked the brake solenoid and valve for blown o-rings?

Where would the brake solenoid and valve be located
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 6 years ago

Mounted under the cab on right side of the frame should be two solenoids

Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 6 years ago

Yeah that is it. It has got to be a control valve issue

Ok I'll see if I can get at it tomorrow thanks for the help I'll let you know if I find the problem
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 6 years ago

Is there pits or grooves in the valve and valve body

Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 6 years ago

Yeah that is not right I would order a new gasket

Ok thanks
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 6 years ago

Yeah looking at the parts break down that is what the gasket looks like the ones I have had apart did not look like that let me do some research on those valves

Ok sounds good
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 6 years ago

How do the bushings in the T handle look? does the T handle have any slack in it?

There's slack but not much could a brake solenoid be weak or do they usually just go out in one shot
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 6 years ago

The solenoid could be braking apart and acting up when the machine is warmed up that is a possibility

Ok I ordered two new solenoids last night and new gaskets for the valves just to be safe did you find any info about the valves is that how they are supposed to be. Where are the brakes? In the drive motors or tandem pump?
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 6 years ago

Yes that is how the valves are supposed to look like and gasket is right the brakes will be inside the drive motor

Ok I guess I'll wait until my parts get here then go from there
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 6 years ago

Ok sounds good let me know what happens when you get the parts on

I got the parts on no change in the noise I'm guessing it's something in the drive motor
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 6 years ago

That is what I was thinking it was going to be when the valves looked ok must be a seal leaking by when the loader warms up might be a pain to do this but you can swap the motors can swap the motors and see if the problem moves

I can get it to squeal without even moving the machine if I just put pressure to the left side to where it's about to start moving then it will start to squeal
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 6 years ago

It must be a motor issue then if the two speed solenoid is working properly then it is a motor issue

I'm in the process of taking it apart my question is once I take all the hydraulic lines off will the brakes release or how am I supposed to rotate the tires to get at the connector links on the chains so I can get the motors out
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 6 years ago

The brakes should release once the motor is out if the motor is still in you can take the cover off the top of the chain case and rotate it until you see the master link

If i have all the hoses off they should release?
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 6 years ago

Yes the brakes should release if all the hoses are off

I am taking the tandem pump and both drive motors off I drained the hydraulic oil and there is metal shavings in it not alot but I seen some so I am taking the pump and motors in to be checked out. When I take the two bolts off the pump where it holds the pump in the engine should it slide out is it a splined shaft that connects it together or is there something else I need to do to to get it out
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 6 years ago

It has a splined shaft once the two bolts are out the pump will slide out it is not timed either

I have all the hoses off and the brakes don't seem to be releasing
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 6 years ago

Looking at the schematic the parking brake is spring applied hydraulic release sorry I was thinking of a different model do you have a porta power you can plumb into the fitting where the brake line goes and release the parking brake

I can probably find someone who does is that going to work thought since all the lines are disconnected
Would I weaken the chain any if It had two master links in it if I separate it where it sits right now
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 6 years ago

No two master leaks will not weaken the chain you should be fine doing that sorry for the delay away from my computer this past weekend

Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 6 years ago

Please rate me when you get a chance

Bradley Martin
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 6 years ago

How did the motor replacement go? and thank you for the rating.

I didn't replace anything yet I have the pump and drive motors out and they just went in to the repair shop today I'm having it all looked at since the pump had to come out to get access to the drive motors when they find the problem I'll let you know what the culprit was thanks for the help