Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and Road Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Construction and Road Equipment

I have a 2004 TL140 track skid steer, currently will not

Customer Question
start, engine will turn over...
I have a 2004 TL140 track skid steer, currently will not start, engine will turn over, then the battery light, and the oil/coolant light will blink, while the yellow caution light on the top of the instrument cluster blinks top then bottom, i've cleaned all of the filters, resently replaced the lap bar sensor, replaced the safety relay, replaced all fuel lines, the fuel stop solenoid clicks when the ignition is turned to on position, the rod in the top moves up, then it clicks and pulls the rod down, I've checked the relays at the front of the cab, i changed relay B to A to see if that would stop the fuel shut off solenoid from clicking, now neither relay is working, I've attempted to jump the relay, with no luck, lights still do the same, ive checked all the fuses, none blown, my skid steer has been down for 4 days now, need to figure this out, have shop manuel, but don't even see instrument cluster in it at all, would really like to know excactly what the combined warning lights point towards, battery light blinking along with the oil/coolant light and caution light at top blinking top and bottom, and all possible solutions to this issue.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
6/23/2016
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
Bradley Martin

Hello Steven

Have you checked the oil and water levels usually when that blinks it is not see oil pressure or coolant?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ive checked, as from my question, I've tried quit a bit, so something that simple was the first thing i done, then moved to complicated....
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago

Do you have fuel coming out of the injection pump while cranking?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have fuel coming out the spin on filter, slow drip with bubbles in it...
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago

Need to crack a line loose at the injection pump and see if you have fuel coming out also I would try grounding the coolant level sensor should be inline on the upper radiator hose disconnect it and ground it to the frame

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The coolant sensor was just replaced last week, but guess it may be possible it has gone bad, after I replaced it, used the skid steer maybe 16hrs, till it's current condition....I'll check the line on the injection pump, which line should i remove?
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago

Just crack anyone of the lines loose and crank the engine over to see if fuel spits out of it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if it doesn't? I know i have air in the lines now, just replaced all the fuel lines today, but I haven't really focused on bleeding the air yet, more worried why the fuel shut off solenoid keeps clicking on and then clicking pulling the rod back down after the warning lights i describe earlier, even after switching relay A with B, the solenoid obviously is working, and if the relay at the cab is bad, relay A should have worked for the stop solenoid relay, but when I changed them, the stop fuel solenoid doesn't even move now, and when I feel the relay when turning the key on doesn't even have a flip to it, even after I put the relays back where they go, still no movement at all on the stop fuel solenoid, and no click at relay box....
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago

The fuel shut off solenoid should have power when key is on then when ignition is turned to start the solenoid should be held back by another power wire Have you checked the fuses after you swapped the relays around

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Checked all fuses, the fuel shut off solenoid is still not responding at all now, was moving up, then down before I switched the relays, I bought a new fuel solenoid relay today, and a new lever lock relay, still same lights on the instrument cluster, still no movement from fuel shut off solenoid...here's what I've done so far
1.) checked coolant/oil level....ok
2.) checked coolant sensor, by grounding..ok
3.) New relay for fuel shut off
4.) New relay for lever lock
5.) cleaned bolt filter in injection pump
6.) cleaned fuel filter in feed pump
7.) replaced spin on fuel filter
8.) replaced all fuel lines
9.) checked all fuses
10.) borrowed an instrument cluster to test if mine was bad...ok
11.) checked wires on ignition..ok
12.) looked over entire wiring of machine for cuts, burns, loose connection...ok
13.) tested voltage at fuel shut off relay
14.) drained all fuel, filtered, then replaced..ok
15.) removed water seperater, cleaned
16.) cleaned ports on lines leading to water seperater
17.) bleed fuel system of all air...with pumpNow this has all been done, I'm honestly running out of ideas, lost 4 days of work...need an answer to solve this, I'm not a trained mechanic, but I do have mechanical ability, and common sense, always fixed my own stuff, never gone this long not solving a problem, small business, can't afford a $1000 service charge at this point...Tomorrow I will be doing...
1.) grounding the oil pressure sensor
2.) replacing all fuse, even through then don't look blown, I've had a fuse fool me before.
3.) clean fuse box, all sensor connections, relay connections, with electricol cleaner
4.) possibly lighting machine on fire(at least mentally) hopefully...
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago

When you say you swapped relays around are you talking about the relays under the seat? also under the with all the relays there is a box called the timer delay unit I know that controls power to the shut off solenoid have you tried bypassing the timer are replacing it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where is this timer relay, the relays for the fuel shut off...ECT are in the cab at the knee level in front.
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago

It is located in the same place on the front panel under the seat it should say time delay relay or timer on the front of it I think it is the third relay from the end and it has only one connector going to it

Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago

Nevermind it should be the last one the left looking at the relay panel it should say time delay on it

Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago

Any update yet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Don't see any relay called timer, one thing I noticed was while bleeding the injection lines, the injector closest to the cab has fuel coming out, the next two have nothing...possible part of the problem?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I also have fuel shut off solenoid moving again....
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you have any idea what the codes for the lights on the control panel are? What is the oil/coolant light blinking...? This has to be trying to point to a problem, I can find no information on the instrument cluster lights codes...
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago

The oil/coolant light blinks when the key is in on position once the engine starts it should not blink anymore. If you only have fuel coming out of one injection pump line I would take the injection pump off and have it checked or rebuilt

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician