Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Have a JD 440E Loader, will hardly move in low or gh. Can…

Have a JD 440E Loader...
Have a JD 440E Loader, will hardly move in low or high. Can not find manual for transmission, need to get it diagnosed.
Have a JD 444E loader, will hardly move in low or high. Can not find manual for transmission, need to get it diagnosed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/1/2016
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi Bruce. My name is***** will be glad to help. Check inside the filter and suction screen for metal/debris indicating an internal failure occurring. If aluminum it is converter and also charge pump. As long as the oil is not excessively burnt and steel and friction material is found sometimes you can get by with a pump, converter and oil flush with cooler replacement. Let me know

Dan we are long past that, what we need to know is it going to be the clutches or the pump or what, we were hoping to have someone be able to tell us what to look for. We don't have a smell of oil being burnt we have no metal in the filter. Also would like to know what the pressure be.

Hydrostatic Transmission

Charge pump flow 11.5 GPM @fast idle

Neutral charge pressure 270+-43 PSI

Operating charge pressure 185+-43 PSI

Brake/Hi-Lo Transmission

Brake/Hi-Lo Transmission pump flow(Min) @ fast idle and 2000 PSI 4.5 GPM

Brake pump flow(Min) @ fast idle and 2000 PSI 2.8 GPM

Hi-Lo Transmission pump flow(Min) @ fast idle 4.5 GPM

Max time for brake warning light to go out after startup 15 seconds at idle

Transmission system pressure at fast idle 300-330 PSI

Element leakage(Max pressure difference between packs) 15 PSI

Brake unloading valve pressure 2340+-50 PSI

Brake workout pressure1350-1600 PSI

Brake accumulator precharge 500 PSI

Bruce, Sorry for any confusion. I worked for a dealer in the past and there are so many models. Above are the pressures you should be seeing teeing into the charge circuit and the main pressure circuit. This one is hydrostatic so there are no clutches. It is variable displacement pumps and drive motors. A pump or drive motor failure will show fine metallic glitter inside the filter and when viewing the oil in the light. If it is clean, verify the pressures above. Also for a hydrostatic drive system you will need a flow meter to check the GPM of flow as well.

Dan, Technician