Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and Road Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Construction and Road Equipment

Dan.You helped me the other day with my wb150. I am having

Customer Question
some motor concerns I am...
Dan.You helped me the other day with my wb150. I am having some motor concerns I am getting a gurgling in the radiator I have checked for exhaust gas and it is zero. Shop is telling me head gasket? Could it be something else
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
5/26/2016
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, thanks for the update. It could be head gasket or a problem in the head allowing compression or air into the system. You can usee an automotive block tester to check for a head gasket problem. It will pick up combustion gasses in the cooling system.

Click this link for a demonstration

Block tester

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have one and did that mk gasses? That is why I am confused?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Crankcase or something else?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you still there

Thanks for the update. Id first try the thermostat and I would pressure test the system to see if it holds pressure. Let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I need some more help with changing the valves on my wb150. You sent me some info but not sure exactly
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dan,I have the cover off of the valves and see them I also have the manual but it does not say anything about a pressure vavle? do I need to change the complete valve body around? I hope not
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hoses are long enough so no extensions are needed
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please help me finish this question

Hi Ryan, I help on here in between jobs as time allows I see this question is about an engine problem for a potential head gasket failure. How did you make out with that part? Let me see if I can pull up the other question so we can keep these separate. Let me know about this question on the status of the potential head gasket and if this one is complete please rate so we can close this out and move onto the other

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
On the head gasket I have searched hi and low but it has to be the gasket I think. I pressure tested and it fails there is no oil or antifreeze anywhere it shouldn't be and it passes the exhaust block test kit? But when I run it for a while it does start to get too warm and when I shut it off you can hear gurgling in the radiator? if the crankcase was getting pressure I would think I would see that with the dipstick blowing oil? My other issue is changing the valves around on the backhoe from iso to backhoe valves.

Thanks for the update. Two separate questions. This one is the head gasket question. If you have gurgling then it is either a restriction in the cooling system, lack of flow from a water pump issue, thermostat sticking and finally a head gasket. Have they tried running a new thermostat and flushing the cooling system? Use powdered cascade dishwashing detergent and water, run to temp for about 15 to 20 minutes and drain. Repeat as needed with a final straight water flush, Try a new thermostat and if the problem still exists and the waterpump is okay and no restrictions in the cooling system it would be the head gasket. Please take a moment to rate my service on this question and I will check for your other question and reply back to you on that one for the hydraulic line switching.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks will do that in the next couple of days . You did help me with the hydraulic switching before in the other conversation we had? you stated that I need to change the hoses and the relief valves I have the manual but it does not have a relief valve in the diagram. On the valves itself it does have a part that has a yellow cap I cant remember what it is called but it is not a relief valve.

Click on this link to the original question so that way it makes it less confusing when going back to review the posts. We will continue there in relation to the hydraulics.

http://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/ab4cd46942e146faa25ecc02500c36fd

You should not have to swap any part of the valves for this in this machine. The valve sections I see are the same part numbers. This would only apply if they were different and set at different pressures.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just tried the link and it is saying denied? you are correct they are the same valves they sell a kit that changes the linkage but it is expensive one thing that is different is that boom versus the arm the arm has plugs in the place where the boom has what I think they call a compensator valve?

Okay, Yes. Swap out the compensator valve as you will need it for the boom circuit.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That is all I have to do!!??
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I also see that there is a different pressure on the boom on the up stroke maybe. It said something about bench test

You could always if you chose to do so move the complete valve bank and swap positions. You would need to replace the o rings between the valve banks. That way the complete assemblies would be swapped.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I pull the compensator and the plugs and swap them out it would work fine right! I am not sure why they sell the kit I would think it is much easier to change the compensator and the hoses?

I agree with you. The parts book shows that they are the same part number and the only differences is the compensator. That valve shares common oil so it will be perfectly fine. I believe it is a money thing as far as that kit.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It shows 350 bar versus 240 bar on the boom but only on the lift. I don't see how though with the machine. It is pretty simple. But it also said something about bench test only? I could send you a pdf of the manual

Sure, send that over either with the paperclip icon above or if too large upload it to mediafire or dropbox and send me the link to access the file

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you have email

I have to send over a premium service request for that. The other ways I mentioned are no additional cost. I will send over the offer if it is easier for you to do it that way.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8st6o7hwsu4ix1/WEBD001102.pdf?dl=0
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hope the drop box worked

Got it. I reviewed the manual and see that boom up exceeds all the other pressures at above 5000PSI I recommend two options in this case. Swap places between the boom control valve and the arm or install the linkage kit. I am not sure which would be better for you but if you don;t want to spend the money the valve swap is more time consuming likely but you keep the money other than some o rings and top off oil to move the valve sections.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Started the flushing process tonight is going okay one thing I did notice while engine was running and I removed the dipstick a bit of oil is sputtering out.

Thanks for the update. Some blowby is normal but the only way to see if it is excessive when it is not obvious is to have a shop with a blowby meter or manometer run a test on it to see if it falls within range.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am going to check the breather hose could it be a head gasket pressuring the crank
Dan, Technician