Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and Road Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Construction and Road Equipment

We have a 2014 Caterpillar 305E CR mini excavator. It has

Customer Question
We have a 2014 Caterpillar...
We have a 2014 Caterpillar 305E CR mini excavator. It has the factory 4-way angle blade. Up and down works just fine but the angle (left and right) is not working. It is controlled by the thumb toggle on the top of the blade lever.
We have the full service and repair catalog but there is no mention or reference to the angle blade option.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
5/18/2016
Mechanic: William Herren, OWNER replied 1 year ago
William Herren
Hello, my name is***** would be glad to help you. Can you please provide serial number and arrangement number? Also, when was the last time it was working correctly?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
DJX00712
We don't know what an arrangement number is.It stopped working about a month ago. It was not being used when it stopped working.
Ok, give me a bit to look up the serial number and the configurations that make it work. I may have addition questions to ask. It is 10:36 p.m. Where I am, would you prefer me to get back with you tomorrow?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tomorrow is fine.Serial # ***** ***** DJX00147
I'm having a hard time finding it.
Take a look at this photo and see if you can get me the information I circled off of it. Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Newer Cat equipment serial tags are not like that. An arrangement number is ***** longer shown.
The full serial is:
CAT0305EKDJX00712
The model number is:
305E2CRThen of course there is the long barcode. Perhaps the arrangement number is ***** in that.
I will see what I can do with that. Thank you.
Here is what I need you to do. Follow the hydraulic line from the angle cylinder back to the control valve. There is a connection on that valve that controls the flow of fluid into the angle cylinder. Unplug the connector and with the equipment running and a test light attached to the connector actuate the angle cylinder and see if power is going to the control valve. I say use a test light because that will put a load on the circuit, a lot of times you may get voltage but not enough to actuate the spool valve. If there is voltage there, check the other side of the connector for a good ground by turning the machine off and connecting your test light to positive side of battery and connecting with ground on connector. If there is a good ground, the next step is to remove one of the lines on the angle cylinder and actuating it. If there is no fluid flow then the valve is bad. If there is fluid flow then there is either not enough pressure or there is a mechanical problem with the cylinder. Please respond with your findings.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
William, it will be a few days before we can work on the machine. Just wanted to let you know. I will let you know how it goes.So you don't think it is an electrical issue?
Please re-read above statement
William Herren
William Herren
William Herren, OWNER