Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

After replacing seal on the front of the transmission sump…

After replacing seal on the...
After replacing seal on the front of the transmission sump I put all new oil in the sump and changed out the oil in the filters. After putting it all back together I started it up and have the hydraulics working great but the machine won't move. This is on a 4810. It was working perfect before I took it apart to change the seal. Please tell me what could be wrong.
5/8/2016
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 6 years ago
Bradley Martin
What are you calling the transmission sump?
The transmission Is incased in a sump that holds 28 gallons of oil. The seal I replaced was on the front of the sump around the center shaft of the transmission.The transmission is then.connected to the engine with a drive shaft.
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 6 years ago
Did you have to take the linkages loose from the transmission
I never disconnected any linkage as there was no need to. And why does it cost an additional 35$ to talk in person
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 6 years ago
Ok I will opt out and see if anyone else has an idea dont have to much experience with the 4810
OK hope someone else can help.
Well I give up you guys have been no help and I better not be charged for no help. Thank you very much.
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi Darrel, My name is***** would like to try to help you with this if you still need help. Let me know as I believe I have the manual for this model as well.
Click on this link to access the part manual with the hydraulic and electrical schematics for your circuits. Go to PDF file page 60 for the schematics. Check all your safety interlock switches and harness to verify if it is a interlock switch/harness problem locking out travel and if that checks ok we need to see if the hydrostatic drive pumps are putting out pressure to the drive motors and that you have good pilot pressure for the controls. Here is the link. Let me know.ManualPOWER & SPEED CONTROLThe POSI-TRACK transmits the power fromthe engine to the tracks using a hydrostatictransmission. The hydrostatic transmissionsends oil under pressure to two individual hy-draulic motors, one for each track. The hydro-static transmission consists of two individualhydrostatic pumps. One pump for each motor.Track speed is increased by sending more oil tothe hydraulic motors, and power is increased bysending less oil to the hydraulic motors. With amechanical transmission the operator must shiftdown to increase power. With hydrostatic drivethe operator can simply pull back on the drivecontrols, reducing speed and increasing powerat the same time.HYDRAULIC RELIEF PRESSUREThere are three main forces involved in trans-mitting power from the engine to the ground:ENGINE POWER, HYDRAULIC RELIEFPRESSURE, & TRACTION. Engine powerand traction can be easily understood, howeverrelief pressure must be explained in greater de-tail. All hydrostatic pumps have a “reliefvalve”. A relief valve makes the oil by-pass thehydraulic motor to prevent the pump from pro-ducing too much pressure. Every pump has it’spressure limitations. The lower the pressure,the longer the pump, as well as other drive com-ponents, will last. The relief valves protect thevehicle from a damaging situation. For exam-ple: The relief valves minimize track damageand track derailment.The hydrostatic pumps of the POSI-TRACK 4810 have relief valve settings of4,000 lbs. psi. This means each drive pumpcan produce a maximum of 4,000 poundsper square inch of pressure. The harder thepumps are worked, the more pressure theywill produced until they reach their reliefvalve setting.For example: It takes a certain amount offorce to push a large rock across hardground. If it takes 6,000 psi of oil pressureto push this rock straight forward, eachdrive pump produces 3,000 psi for a total of6,000 psi. Under good traction the vehiclewill push this rock straight forward sincethe pumps have not reached their individual4,000 psi relief valve setting. If the opera-tor tries to turn the vehicle while pushingthe same rock, the load on the inside trackwill be less, and it’s pressure will decrease.The load on the outside track will be in-creased, thus increasing it’s pressure. If theoutside track is getting good traction, the4,000 psi relief valve setting can bereached, making the track stop until theload is reduced. The oil for both trackscould be made to go over the relief valvesif the same rock was pushed up hill since itwould take much greater force.CHECKING CHARGE PRESSUREThe charge pressure refers to the oil that is sup-plied to the main drive pumps, this oil allows thepumps to shift. If the charge pressure is low, thedrive pumps may not shift at all when the leversare stroked or they may shift sluggishly, resultingin erratic track behavior.1. Open the filter access panel on the side of thevehicle. Locate the test port in the upper righthand corner (A). (Pressure tap on top of the last filter housing to the right)2. Remove the cap and screw on a pressuregauge.3. Start the engine and let idle. At an idle, thecharge pressure should be between 280 to 320 psiwhen the oil is warm.Vehicle starts but tracks won’t go1. Operator not seated in seat 1. Sit down & fastenseat belt.2. Defective seat switch 2. Refer to electricaltrouble shooting guide3. Defective solenoid 3. Refer to electricaltrouble shooting guide4. Low charge pressure 4. Use the procedure I posted priorTracks respond sluggishly1. Hydraulic oil is still cold 1. Let oil warm up for a few minutes2. Low charge pressure 2. Refer to page 433. Low hydraulic oil 3. Add hydraulic oil4. Hydraulic filters plugged 4. Change filtersOne track won’t go1. Brake is engaged 1. Turn brake switch off, or rotatetrack in both directions to take bind off brakeram2. Cable is disconnected on 2. Reconnect cablelever3. Cable is disconnected on 3. Contact dealerpumpTrack will only go in one direction1. Loosen or disconnected drive tube or fitting 1. Contact dealer2. Broken drive tube inside 2. Contact dealerhydraulic reservoir3. Cable linkage in tank 3. Contact dealeris brokenI believe this is the information you were looking for Darrell. Let me know the results of your tests and if we need to dig deeper into this. We can post back and forth as needed. I help on here part time in between jobs and eves.I am on EST. Post your follow ups and I will respond at my next available log in.
I think it might have something to do with the brake. The brake piston is extended up against the sprocket and when I use the switch to disingauge it it blows the fuse. I tried loosening the hydraulic lines on the brake ram and collapsing the ram manually by forcing oil out of it but that didn't work. I have even tried lifting the tracks of the ground but all I see is a slight huge of the track from forward to reverse sometimes.
thanks for the update. Your short is likely the solenoid for the brake valve but also could be in the harness. Disconnect the valve solenoid and see if the fuse still blows. Install a same amp breaker to save on fuses while testing. the electrical schematic is on PDF page 62 in the parts manual I posted for that circuit. The hydraulic schematic is in the manual too on PDF page 58. The brake cylinder is spring applied and pressure released so you would need to tee in with a portapower to release the brake to move the machine or tow it as long as the brake seals are not leaking the brake should release. check the solenoid and harness for shorts. Your brake is not releasing. Let me know
Hi Darrell, Just following up with you. Did you get this resolved?
Didn't have a chance to work on it today. So when the brake is in gauged does that stop both right and left transmissions from operating?
Yes it does. It is also applied by spring pressure inside that cylinder. Verify there is pressure to release the spring pressure. If so and the cylinder will not release, check for bad seals in the cylinder. Try manually releasing it by adapting a porta power pump to it.
OK. I got the brake working properly. Then I picked up a pressure tester and tested the charge pressure, all good the charge pressure is at 310-320 psi. How and where do I check the transmission pressures without disconnecting lines to the drive moters? Any positive input to make this thing move would be much appreciated.
Rember my lift and tilr hydraulics work perfect
Parts and service manual page 25, part 33, could this be my problem and if so could it be causing my problem? Do you know where it is located? Also page 23 , parts 39 and 40 this I know is located in the sump resivoir,could it be my problem?Also page 21 part #10, could this be my area of problem? It is located in the sump and has a red knurled button on it, what is that button for as it my have been bumped when I was doing my repair.
See PDF page 20 Neutral lock and charge relief. Check to see if that valve is restricting your travel pressureAlso see on the schematics. Check the filters in the transmission circuit for fine metal/debris that would indicate a pump or drive motor problem. If clean, check the directional control valve, neutral solenoid for power and operation/debris or damaged o rings, etc. I have to be on the road the rest of the afternoon but I will be able to follow up more this evening.
Got it. Apparently when I was removing the hub tochange the seal on the back of the transmission I must have pride against the electrical adapter that goes into the oil sump and broke it but it wasn't visibly broken. I only found it when I tried to wiggle and it fell apart. Actually fixed it with electrical tape and a hose clamp. All works well now. Thank you for your knowledge and time.
Thanks for the update Darrell. Glad you got it resolved and it has been a pleasure working with you on this. Please take a moment and rate my service as that is how the site credits the experts for their time helping on the site.
Dan, Technician