Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Transmissions ZF WG180 transmission: We have rebuilt a ZF WG180…

Customer Question
We have rebuilt a ZF...
We have rebuilt a ZF WG180 transmission in an 18 tonne loader, replacing the 1st and 2nd clutch packs and had an auto electrician check all of the electrical wiring and said everything was ok. But the loader with a ZF WG180 transmission is having problems – when it is in forward gear it goes in reverse and when it is in reverse gear it goes forward and then freezes. Would you be able to advise where to look or what to fix. Is it likely to be a hydraulic problem?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
4/29/2016
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 6 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Electrical problem, with two solenoids trying to engage transmission at once. Check voltage to the f/r solenoids. May have bad shifter or diode in harness, letting voltage bleed back and power both solenoids at once. unplug one of the f/r solenoids and see if they work in the correct fashion with one out of the circuit.
All of the electric circuitry to the solenoids has been checked and is all ok and all of the hoses from the valve bank to the front of the transmission are correct. We have pressure checked the clutch packs with a air line and they are all ok. But when in forward gear, the machine goes backwards and in reverse gear it goes forwards.
?? Why not swap the circuits for forward and reverse? At shifter or at the solenoids.
All the electrics are ok. The loader is now going forward and backward in the correct gears, but only a little bit and then it seizes, maybe over-pressurizing? We have double-checked hoses on the front of the transmission and they are correct.
From all my experience this is caused when transmission goes into two gears at once!
Ok, thanks, ***** ***** is picking up too many gears, why would it be doing that and can you advise how to fix it?
I would have thought it was solenoid problem, but you say all is good! Valve body gasket leaking over to another clutch pack?
Hi Curtis,We have checked the oil pressures. The K3 clutch pack is making too much pressure.
?? Clutch pack just gets what is sent to it from the control valve. . It doesn't make pressure.
We are wondering if it could be sucking in air around the ends of the transmission pump. The transmission is definitely making air pressure.
If there is air in the oil, it has to be at the pump or the suction to the pump!