Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a john deere 544b loader with new filters in it and

Customer Question

i have a john deere 544b loader with new filters in it and it has no power steering you can turn the steering wheel about a quarter turn the free play then it gets solid and you can not turn it either way
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Anything else I can tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: there was some metal in the oil real smaall particles like normal wear no big pieces and all loader functions and the brakes work fine can go straight just can not turn
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. That will be hard to tell the cause of at present.1. is it leaking hydraulic fluid from any part of the power steering, e.g. the filter or the valve that actually does the turning ? if so, hydraulic fluid pressure may be low in the power steering system, and also there may be a gasket or seal that needs replacing (owing to its probably having burst.)or2. the power steering valve may be worn out.3. you mention there are new filters in the system. Was anything like this problem showing up before the filters were replaced?4. There might also be a lockup in the linkage that the power steering valve applies pressure to... when you turn the wheel, do you hear the power steering valve trying to work? or does it seem to be 'dead'? If 'dead', see 1 or 2 above. If whining or straining, then linkage lockup might be the problem, in the steering linkage, not the power steering itself.