Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 432D backhoe and want to run a hydraulic motor off…

I have a 432D backhoe...
I have a 432D backhoe and want to run a hydraulic motor off the front auxiliary circuit, my machine does not hat the continuous flow button shown in the manual, can I add this feature and what would be involved
4/11/2016
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 6 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Hello,I have not done this setup but, I am sure it can be done.You would need to add the fourth valve, the joystick with the correct control switches, the special lines group and I believe the D model requires an ECM to control the system.What is your serial number?
Yes, this model does require adding the electronic systems to operate the continuous flow system. Details are below.The electronic control system for the auxiliary hydraulics is standard equipment on models with the integrated toolcarrier and with pilot operated hydraulic control for the loader. The auxiliary hydraulic system consists of switches, a sensor, an electronic control module (ECM), and actuators. The ECM gathers information from the inputs. The information is processed by the software. The ECM will then activate the solenoids. The auxiliary hydraulic ECM will communicate with the Caterpillar Electronic Technician (ET) over the Cat Data Link.The auxiliary hydraulic ECM utilizes the following components for the input signals: Position sensor (auxiliary control) Jumper (reverse direction enable) Switch (continuous flow) (optional equipment) Switch (quick coupler) (optional equipment) Note: The switch inputs and the auxiliary control must be in the neutral state when power is applied to the machine in order to enable the outputs of the ECM.The auxiliary hydraulic ECM controls the following components: Modulating valve (auxiliary) (No. 1) Modulating valve (auxiliary) (No. 2) Solenoid valve (quick coupler) (optional equipment)
The joystick may not be needed but, the extra switches would be needed for the left dash panel.
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
my machine has joystick control with the thumb switch to operate multi purpose bucket but no tool carrier, what would be required to give me continuous flow in addition to the dash switch, i was hoping to use the existing circuit assuming it only requires adding some electronic components, is there a kit or list of parts that i could go to a dealer with.
You would need to add the fourth valve, the special lines group and the D model requires an ECM to control the system.A field install kit may be available but, the sales department has to order these kits. Parts departments can only order the individual items and the cost would be higher.I would need the full machine serial number to see if a kit is available. (I cannot provide pricing or availability)
Serial number is ***** do i need fourth valve or can i use the existing third valve and add the continuous flow feature to it, that is how i understand it works according to my operator manual.
It appears your machine has almost everything needed. The Auxiliary valve and ECM are in place. The reason this machine does not have the switches is it lacks the front quick coupler package. You might install the switches and find the system will work. If not, the ECM will need the dealer to configure the options for you. I cannot find any details about this setup and I am not certain any of it will work but, the price of the switches does make it worth trying.If you are planning to add the CAT Broom, the coupler is needed anyway and then you could add all the full system controls. (Broom swing is another switch and an extra harness goes with that too.)
I want to run a post hole auger from it, i have a coupler on the machine which is not CAT, sounds like i need to check with dealer about momentary switch and give it a try, i assume this would just plug in. The other option is to fit it to rear, was considering putting a diverter valve on the extender circuit as i don't have the aux on the hoe.
That is the normal option for backhoes. I saw on your build ticket something about a 5 to 6 conversion. I think this means you have a second auxiliary valve installed.Have you looked for a blocked off section on the backhoe valve?Also a conversion is available to adapt to the E-stick lines and you would pin the stick in place to use the auxiliary circuit. (At least it was for some older US version.)
there is no blanked off valve i have seen that on another machine, the conversion may be for the hydraulic hitch on the hoe, sounds like it's possible to use the E-stick valve. Does the build of my machine show the ECM and third valve for the front in place.
Yes but, it is not listed as a separate group. It is part of the Multi-purpose bucket system.I assume the auger will work as connected. I don't see why you would need continuous flow as the auger will require frequent cleaning if you have hard or stiff soil to dig through. Besides, your front loader lifting power is much less than the backhoe. If you go too deep it might not lift it out of the soil.
continuous flow is for a concrete mixing bowl which goes onto the auger drive, thank you for your help i was getting nowhere talking to a couple of dealers about the various options.
Did you ask for their Technical Support team or did they offer to connect you to them?