Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and Road Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Construction and Road Equipment

Dan tried to help a few weeks back and nothing has worked JA: We'll d

Customer Question
dan tried to help a...
dan tried to help a few weeks back and nothing has worked
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: dan knows
JA: Anything else I can tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a Komatsu PC28UU-2. The boom controls do not work. No metal in fluid. Tracks operate, blade operates. Safety switch checks good with a continuity test.
4/7/2016
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician
Hi, It's Dan. Let me know where we are with this. I will see if I can find our old question as well.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No controls on boom. Everything else works. Safety switch is good. Nothing in fluid.
Have you checked the boom potentiometer and wiring harness yet? These machines will lock out the boom or arm function sometimes if they go bad , there's harness trouble, or they are out of adjustment or damaged.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I need to know the parameters of checking the pots. What each of the three pins are, there is a lineup mark on the pot, and it seems to be a dead spot. I need parameters.
Manuals for this model are scarce as this is considered a grey market machine in the US. I have a manual for a 128uu-2 which uses boom potentiometers and arm potentiometers for the cab protect system. Try disconnecting them one at a time to see if the boom begins to respond. Also with the connector disconnected try a resistance check and mover the potentiometer while monitoring the readings to be sure they increase and decrease, etc. Check for an open circuit. The 128uu-2 has a switch RH console below the seat to disable this function in an emergency. Check for a switch in the cab. I did locate a source that claims to have the full service book for under 35. Here is the link.http://www.machine--tools.com/By-Location-/Wyoming-/Komatsu-operation-shop-manuals-any-model-pdf-format.ASPX
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am an industrial electrician, so i understand how pots work, i just dont know the pinout.
That manual will have the schematics but since this is black market I dont have the schematic for this model. I doubt it is the same pot but I can see if maybe the part numbers match...
Hi, Did you get this resolved? If not let me know as there might be another expert that has those schematics and test information
Grey market machines are tough to get service information for unfortunately.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still not working
By chance did you reach out to the person in the link I posted to see if they still have the manual for sale for this model? They are very tough to come by in the US. Otherwise I would be sharing test info for other US model machines and the specs likely will not match.
Ill opt out in case another expert has this machines manual for those test values and pin outs.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dan,Just wanted to let you know what I found. Thought it may help on the next one. The front potentiometer was bad in one spot. I bought a radio shack 5k ohm and put it there to prove my prognosis. I have ordered a new Komatsu pot. the controls started working but was erratic. we pulled the console off the machine (where the start switch is) and flipped it upside down to take a look. it started working. we went through and reconnected all pin/plug connectors and checked for loose wires. As of right now this machine is operating. Thanks for your help.
Dan, Technician