Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a JD 550c dozer. It pushes fine straight ahead but it…

I have a JD 550c...
I have a JD 550c dozer. It pushes fine straight ahead but it won't steer left and when I pull the left lever under load it seems to stop power to both tracks. I don't have a manual for this machine.I know there are plugs to remove to adjust brake bands but not sure how or if this is the problem.
3/25/2016
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. What is your serial number?

Are you sure about the C in the model number? Is it G?

Double check the model number and let me know

Sorry, It is 550b serial TO550BC728839
The dozer does not like to move when cold and once it warms up it pushes well but the left steering problem got worse.I changed the filter under the seat two years ago and it helped. Usually only use this machine for snow removal. I also read that there may be a suction screen in transmission .

Thanks for the update. The two covers under the seat and batteries house the clutches and brakes. For steering, one side releases and the other side drives while the released side is held by a brake at the same time. To check if the clutches are even driving the finals remove the two triangle shimmed pinion covers held on by three bolts above the track sprockets and see if those pinions are moving. The splines are also known to strip as well but if not moving to drive the final drive or if not releasing, check the steering valve pressure to the top housings that releases the clutch for turning. Let me know. Click here to access the parts pages to help. I will be away for most of the weekend but will check in as I am able.

Parts

I talked to a local contractor who said start with filter under seat. The oil was milky. I changed and adjusted both brakes and dozer works much better. I am going to drain system. Still not sure about suction screen.

Thanks for the update. There is moisture getting into the system either through condensation or a leak. You might have to drain it hot a few times to flush it so use the cheaper oil while flushing. Definitely check the suction screen as well and see what you get. The belly pans have to be removed to access it but they should be removed and cleaned every so often anyway. Let me know

Dan, Technician