Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

I have a bobcat 743 that is not getting fuel to the injector

Customer Question

I have a bobcat 743 that is not getting fuel to the injector pump. I've changed out everything and it's still not working. It originated with bad fuel being put in by accident. I'm stumped.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Bradley Martin replied 1 year ago.

Is your injector shut off solenoid working?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't have one... It's mechanical

Are you getting fuel to the injection pump from the tank?

Is your manual pump getting hard and are you getting fuel out of the top of the filter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on both

Next have you checked fuel coming out of injection pump and injectors?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel is not getting to the injectors

If fuel is getting to the pump then I would say you have a injection pump issue. Are you sure the manual shut off is working linkage and everything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's getting up into the bleeder but won't go through the injector pump
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

What is engine? Kubota or ??? It has pull cable to kill engine? If so, the injection pump is stuck in the no fuel position. You can try to remove the injection pump cover and free up the kill linkage in the injection pump. But very likley , with bad fuel the injection pump will be bad enough, that it will not free up and will have to be rebuilt or replaced.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Did you find the problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cleaned all the lines and it finally started...now it will run and then die out after about a minute. When I get it started again I hear a loud knocking sound which goes away, but it still dies out again and only runs for about a minute.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

What injection pump? CAV/Lucas will have return line with check valve on the injection pump cover, the check valve will plug with debris, and when the pressure builds in pump, kills the engine.