Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have water in my 1973 580b case loader backhoe. How do I…

Customer Question
I have water in...

I have water in my 1973 580b case loader backhoe. How do I drain it and how many times do i need to drain it?

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

This is my wife gardening business and this a yard loader. Someone? used it and it was low so they filled it. After that it quit working. I went to check it and the front direct drive pump had blown the seal and was leaking massively. I have replaced it and now a backhoe cylinder was leaking so I pulled it off and had it resealed. at the hydraulic shop they said it had water in it. Now I am informed they it did not work before removing the cylinder. The cylinder is not installed yet and I think I need to drain all of the fluid before I do replace it. My question is how do I drain the fluid and how many times should I?

Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
3/24/2016
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 6 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

If hydraulic oil has water in it, you will want to change the oil and the filter. Just Take your containers and run the oil out, using the cylinder hoses you have off at the backhoe cylinder. Run the unit till you hear the pump cavitate, then stop. That gets the majority of the oil out. Then replace the filter and fill with oil. Replace the cylinder. Unless it has a really large amount of water in the system, once will be enough. Run the functions a few times and check the oil. If it still shows massive amount to water and is milky, you will want to do it again. If it does not show water, just run about 100 hrs and do the oil and filter change . Then go back to regular intervals. Did you find source of water?

Did you get the oil changed?