Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and Road Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Construction and Road Equipment

2012 DEERE 310K backhoe. Crank strong, no start. I removed

Customer Question
2012 JOHN DEERE 310K backhoe. Crank...
2012 JOHN DEERE 310K backhoe.
Crank strong, no start. I removed both fuel filters and both were empty. I checked the fuses and relays because the fuel pump wasn't working. Fuses and relays are good and fuel pump works but is very weak and slow to fill the filters. I'm getting a full 12 volts to the pump. I replaced the fuel pump and filter assembly and also the secondary fuel filter. I bled all the air from the system 5 times and it will start sometimes and other times noting at all. When it does start it only runs for less then 5 seconds. I'll reprime the fuel system and bleed the air then it will start for 5 seconds or less and stall again and again. I removed the return line from the injection pump that goes back to the fuel tanks and blew it out with compressed air and that didn't fix it either. I'm at my wits ends here and on starting to think its the injection pump itself. Please help. I maintain this backhoe with new oil and all filters every 150 hours or 3 months whichever comes first. It has less the 1100 hours on the clock.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
3/23/2016
Mechanic: Wayne, Journeyman replied 1 year ago
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

you did correct on all trouble shooting, (good Job)

sounds to me you are sucking air, or a blockage in the fuel pick up

What I would like you to do, is a 5 gal container a line/hose from the container to fuel filter

see if it runs that way , then we can work further, let me know

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good idea. I should of thought of that. Can I get back to you tomorrow? I'm not home to do that right now. If it runs from a fuel container, should I pull the pickup from the tank? I never had a pickup removed from a backhoe is it similar to a truck pickup?

Hi

Thank you for that

to be honest , I have never removed one either

I don't see that it is a big job

Let me know , please

and remember to rate my answer so I get credit for it

Hi if this helped you

Please rate my answer 3 or more stars

If you need more info, use request button

Not Poor/Bad service

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I use the 5 gallon tank to suck fuel out of instead of the tractors fuel tank it still doesn't start or run. Anything else you can think of?

Morning

OK next do you hear the fuel pump running

it is mounted on top of the fuel filter

also check the relay , follow the wire from the fuel pump

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the fuel pump is running its brand new

Hi

So the fuel pump is runing

but the fuel filters don't fill ?? is this correct

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They fill then the tractor will run until the filters are empty.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It won't run on starting fluid either

Thank you for that

The part book is showing

I t has 2 pumps, a fuel pump and a transfer pump

the one on the filter is transfer pump

but does not show the fuel pump,

I will continue to look

Wayne, Journeyman