Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and Road Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Construction and Road Equipment

I have a Terex 2010 PT100 forestry unit that I purchased

Customer Question
used. It seems to be...
I have a Terex 2010 PT100 forestry unit that I purchased used. It seems to be only using fuel from one tank. The fuel gauge does not work, which I found the float in the bottom of the right tank and retrieved it through the filler neck. It will run out of fuel in about four hours of use under heavy load (mulcher head). It seems to take only a little more than one tank capacity to fill it. What's your thoughts? Thanks, ***** ***** ***@******.***
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
3/23/2016
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
Bradley Martin

Have you checked the other tank where the crossover line goes into and made sure that the hole is not plugged

Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago

Any update yet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All I have done as far as troubleshooting is disconnected the fuel line from the filter that comes from the equalizer tube and blow air through it. since there is on filler cap on the left tank is hard to determine if any air goes that way. Naturally there is plenty air coming to the tank with the filler cap.
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago

Does this model have the fuel tank on the front or metal fuel tanks on the rear?

Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago

You are probably going to have to drop the skid pan under the engine and drain the fuel from both tanks and take the crossover tube out it probably has rust or debris in it keeping the other tank from filling up

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Metal tanks on each rear corner
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago

Those tanks are a terrible design flaw they fill up with rust if the tanks are not always full. I would drain the fuel out of both tanks and pull that crossover tube off and clean it out

Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago

New PT-100 have plastic tanks on front so terex knew they screwed up and did not want to fix the older ones

Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago

I have in the past pulled both tanks off and took them to a heavy equipment dealer and they coated the inside of the tanks and I did not have any more problems out of it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm familiar with the crossover tube. In theory I would agree with your thoughts but in looking in the tank that I can see into I have not seen any rust. I have serviced the fuel filters as well and not seen anything unusual.
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago

I would still take the plug out of the middle of the crossover tube and see if any thing comes out debris in the fuel tank will settle to the bottom and may not get picked up in the pick up tube that goes to the filter

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, I'll pursue that. Thanks for the input
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok let me know what you find out and please rate me when you have a chance

Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago

Here is the rating tool in left hand corner

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. It will be a couple weeks before I have a chance to get at it. Other obligations.
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok that is fine keep me updated on what you find out

Bradley Martin
Bradley Martin
Bradley Martin