Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a gradall xl3100 that has intermittent boom swing…

Customer Question
I have a gradall xl3100...
I have a gradall xl3100 that has intermittent boom swing failure. I have replaced the two pilot control valves and the pressure reliefe valve.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
3/17/2016
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will try to help. What is your serial number?

Thanks for the update. When this happens check and see if the swing brake function is coming on causing no swing. Connect pressure gauges to the swing circuit to monitor for a fluctuation or drop off in pressure.

Operating Pressures:

Hoist

.......................................................

4,800

psi (331 BAR)

Tilt

..............................................................

2,500

psi (172 BAR)

Swing

....................................................

3,000

psi (206 BAR)

Tool

..........................................................

4,800

psi (331 BAR)

Telescope

.......................................

4,800

psi (331 BAR)

Remote Propel

.........................

4,800

psi (331 BAR)

Pilot system

........................................

550

psi (38 BAR)

Let me knwo

Dan, i don't really have provisions to test pressures. Unfortunately the municipality I work for will not purchase them. Is there another option to test or a part that commonly fails I can replace?

Wow. That doesnt make sense on their part. They could get a few gauges at 10-20 each and some adapter hoses and fittings..,, It is vey tough without testing to guess and change parts... I would look at the swing motor crossover reliefs and the swing brake solenoid valve. Inspect both for problems.

Hi, Did you get this resolved or still need help?

No, I haven't been able to check the pressures. We still don't have any gauges. If it's a swing break issue, is there a solenoid or valve I can inspect or replace?

Try the crossover reliefs on the swing motor itself if no metal is found in the system or swing motor ports. Also there is a swing brake solenoid... Verify power and if ok try replacing that. I do not usually recommend throwing parts at things without testing but if that is how they do things then That is where I would try next. Gauges are much cheaper than the replaced parts that didnt fix the problem. that must make it tough on you trying to repair equipment.

I verified power and replaced both solinoids. One of them was corroded and had rusted off where the harness plugs into the side.

Which relief did you change? On the control valve or the swing motor itself? Id pull the relifs from the swing motor and inspect them, clean them and replace the o rings.... Look for metal in them causing them to stick

I changed the ones on the block next to where you switch the controls from gradall to different types.

Thanks for the update.Keep me posted.