Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 96 Linkbelt 3400q. It has a alarm coming up saying,

Customer Question
Hello I have a 96...
Hello I have a 96 Linkbelt 3400q. It has a alarm coming up saying, electrical problem and now the throttle doesn't work. It starts and shuts off and the gauges work. I have replaced the throttle motor about 2 years ago direct from Linkbelt, shouldn't have to again. Any thoughts?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/8/2016
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi Jordan, My name is***** is your serial number? What is the engine make model info from the engine ID tag?

Serial number e7165810. It has an Isuzu 6gb1. There is a throttle motor out by the hydraulic pump that moves a cable connected to injection pump.

Thanks for the info. Yes, that is the stepper motor or also known as the throttle actuator. Is it blowing any fuses?

Also with someone in the cab with the Key on turning the throttle control dial will the stepper motor move the throttle linkage to full throttle and idle with the engine not running? Will it move at all if not?

You will need to test using a digital multimeter both the control dial in the cab and the motor for the change in voltage signal to it. If the voltage to the motor increases and decreases but is not responding then yes unfortunately it has failed.

Test your batteries and charging system as if the system is constantly run with low voltage it will strain the motor and shorten its life. Check for shorts and voltage draws as well. Let me know

It will move by hand. From the cab and moving the dial it does not move. I'll check fuses tomorrow. I just replaced alternator and both batteries. I assume it would take a short for their to be an alarm saying electric problem? The machine ran fine in the morning and we went to lunch, left it run as it was cold outside and on coming back it would throttle up.

Also check the bypass switch that is has no been switched on by mistake which will bypass the machine controller. If I remember correctly they are behind the seat to the RH side of the operator

Also come to think of it the machine has always alarmed both battery and alternator since I have owned it for the last 8 years. This is the second time I have replaced both batteries and alternator b but didn't think much of it as that is a long time for batteries to last
Bypass? I've never noticed one. I'll look tomorrow

Using a Volt/OHM meter, test the power from the throttle control and to the throttle motor..... You could have a possible controller problem but once you do the voltage test with just the key on you will know if the voltage is changing to the throttle motor. If so it should be moving and if not. it is bad again

I believe there was a small plastic cover hiding the switches on these. Let me know, I am logging off for the night but log in periodically throughout the day

Hi, Did you get this resolved?