Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

Komatsu 220LC-5L excavator loses power as it moves, heard a

Customer Question

Komatsu 220LC-5L excavator loses power as it moves, heard a strange noise first. Is it the hydraulic or what could be causing the problem?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I need to reconnect with you when my husband is present to give you the details. All I know is that the machine is a 1992 and we purchased it used. He switched the operation from backhoe mode to trackhoe mode. He moved it yesterday to a job site an as he was moving forward he heard a strange noise and as he moved along it got slower and slower. He stopped, cut the machine off and came home to worry.
JA: Is there anything else the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Sorry, but I do not know. I will put my husband on the computer when he returns from feeding the cows. Thanks for your time. Is there a charge for this service?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is***** will try to help. What is the machine serial number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A70442
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hi Billy, Try to run the machine as little as possible in case you have a pump failure occurring which will contaminate your hydraulic system with fine metal and debris from the pump. Grab a clean bucket/drain pan and a new hydraulic filter. Remove the in tank return filter and inspect for fine metal/debris that would indicate a pump or component failure occurring. It will look like metallic glitter in the filter and oil. Let me know the results.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Did you get this resolved?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the update. What did you find?