Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

2000year cat 315BL excavator 3046T engine. 9400 hours on…

2000year cat 315BL excavator 3046T...
2000year cat 315BL excavator 3046T engine. 9400 hours on machine with good maint history.
Loss of hydraulic power. Cat Mechanic turned up main hydraulic pressure relief valve but didn't help. New fuel filters and checked fuel hoses for restriction, none found. Put gauge on manifold and get only 2.5-3 psi of boost with high RPM's and hydraulics bottomed out. Turbo rebuilt about 3 years ago. Turbo shaft play seemed fine and compressor wheel spins freely. Have not broke it down to check exhaust side turbine. No notable engine smoke. Blowby does not seem excessive. Engine sounds good and seems to turn up RPM's. What to check next?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/6/2016
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 6 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Please post the full machine serial number with your reply.

If the problem is low hydraulic power, why is he checking the engine?

These small engines do not build as much boost as large engines and the six cylinder in this machine has plenty of power.

Has he checked fuel pressure?

What was the pressure of the main relief?

Is the PRV working?

How is this machine equipped? (How many attachments are on the stick?)

What is the task the machine can no longer perform?

What are the cycle times of each function?

Please post as much detail as you can to help me understand the issue with this machine.

Thanks for help! Machine Serial 3AW02375, engine serial 5XK25595. If memory serves me right he said he turned main pressure relief to 4750 psi. The hydrualic weekness is not very obvious it just doesnt have the tail it used to have. I used this machine mainly for land clearing. It just seems to struggle breaking stumps loose like it used to. I have a cat 37inch bucket I clear with, a 60 inch ditch cleaning bucketand a geith pin grabber quick coupler. It has a cat progressive hydraulic thumb. He checked the engine because he didnt think the rpms were where they should be with the throttle control on 10. He adjusted the cable and it seems to be turning up now. After his visit is when I noticed the turbo doesnt whistle so I put gauge on manifold saw low boost then I checked the fuel filters and lines to rule that out. It seems like I used to hear it whistle but cant swear by it. I used to run the machine all the time on throttle position 8 and it had plenty of cylce speed and power. We have to always run it on 10 now to get productivity. He did not check fuel pressure. I will record cycle times and get back with you shortly. I feel like the PRV is working, engine doesnt bogg when hydraulics bottomed out. Which cycle times....stick in/out...bucket curl...spin time? ThanksDid not see Cat man put gauge on hydraulics though....

That is the normal pressure setting of the main relief.

I could not find a spec for boost pressure. I do know it will not boost over 15 psi but, was thinking it should be near 6 or 7 psi when loading the engine. These turbos last a long time but, anything is possible past 7500 hours according to CAT.

I would remove the intake pipe and watch the shaft spin. It should not vibrate at any speed and should slow stop turning after engine shutdown.

Also inspect the intake to the engine for oil. If it is leaking enough oil to fully wet the intake, it should be replaced. Minor oil trail should be ok.

I would also check the fuel pressure and adjust the valve lash.

If fuel lines are old, they could allow air into the fuel system and cause low power.

Below are details and spec's I could find. Review the Low Power troubleshooting information to see if anything seems related to your machine. Hopefully this will help you isolate the issue.

Valve Lash Setting with Stopped Engine (Cold)

Inlet and Exhaust Valve ... 0.25 mm (0.010 inch)

Compression Pressure *The compression pressure is taken at 300 rpm
2940 kPa (427 psi) new
2650 kPa (384 psi) limit

When the engine is operating at full load speed, the fuel transfer pump moves the fuel through the following components at 75 to 170 kPa (10.9 to 24.7 psi):

Fuel filter
Fuel injection pump housing
Use the following steps to check the fuel pressure of the fuel transfer pump.

------ WARNING! ------
Fuel leaked or spilled onto hot surfaces or electrical components can cause a fire. Clean up fuel spills immediately.

----------------------
Disconnect the fuel line from the filter at the inlet of the fuel injection pump housing.
Install a tee at the inlet and connect the fuel line to the tee.
Connect a pressure gauge to the tee and start the engine.
If the fuel pressure is not above 75 kPa (10.9 psi) perform the following steps.

Stop the engine.
Replace the fuel filter.
Check the inlet screen on the fuel transfer pump for debris.
Check the fuel lines in order to ensure that the fuel lines are not plugged.
Ensure that the fuel lines are not damaged.
Start the engine and again check the fuel pressure.
If the fuel pressure is below 75 kPa (10.9 psi) the fuel transfer pump is faulty.

Repair the fuel transfer pump.
Replace the fuel transfer pump.

The engine lacks power.

Probable Cause

The air filter element is dirty.
The air filter element must be cleaned or replaced.

A restriction exists in the tube between the air filter and the turbocharger.
Find the restriction and repair or replace the component.

An air leak or a restriction exists in the line between the turbocharger and the inlet manifold.
The component must be repaired or replaced.

A restriction exists in the exhaust system.

The turbocharger is loose or the clamps and bolts on the turbocharger are loose.
Correctly position the turbocharger and tighten the clamps and bolts.

The inlet manifold is cracked, loose or the flange is distorted.
The inlet manifold must be repaired or replaced.

The exhaust manifold is cracked, loose, or the flange is distorted.
The exhaust manifold must be repaired or replaced.

The turbine housing is damaged or restricted.
The turbine housing must be repaired or the turbocharger must be replaced.

The bearings of the turbocharger are worn.
Replace the turbocharger.

Excessive dirt exists in the compressor housing.
Clean the compressor housing.

Carbon has collected behind the rotor of the turbine.
Remove the carbon.

The fuel injection pump is not operating correctly.
The fuel injection pump must be repaired or replaced.

The fuel injection nozzles are worn or damaged.
The fuel injection nozzles must be repaired or replaced.

The inlet valves and the exhaust valves are burned.
Replace the inlet valves and the exhaust valves. Determine the cause of the damage to the valves.

The piston rings are worn.
Replace the piston rings.

The engine runs evenly, but the engine loses power.

Probable Cause

The cylinders have low compression.
Starting the engine may be difficult in warm weather. The engine may not start in cold weather. Low compression is most frequently caused by the following conditions:

Cylinder walls are worn or damaged.
Piston rings are worn or broken.
The piston height is incorrect.
The piston is damaged.
The fuel injection nozzles are not seated correctly.
The valve lash requires adjustment.
The fuel injection pump timing is incorrect.
The engine timing is incorrect.
When an inlet valve or an exhaust valve is fully seated, gases leak past the valve head.
The operation of the fuel injection pump is not correct.
Check the timing of the fuel injection pump. Adjust the timing or replace the fuel injection pump. The fuel injection pump must be repaired or replaced.

Make sure that the high pressure fuel lines are connected to the fuel injection nozzles in the correct order.

Make sure that the mounting bolts of the fuel injection pump are tightened to the correct torque. Inspect the fuel lines for leaks or for restrictions. The damaged fuel lines or fittings must be repaired or replaced.

Inspect the filter (screen) that is installed under the fuel shutoff solenoid. Also, inspect the filter (screen) that is under the bolt for the fuel inlet.

The valve lash is not correct.
Adjust the valve lash.

The air cleaner is restricted.
The air cleaner must be repaired or the air cleaner must be replaced.

Air is in the fuel system.
Remove the air from the fuel system. Make sure that the fittings of the fuel lines are aligned. Make sure that the fittings of the fuel lines are tightened correctly.

The fuel transfer pump is not operating correctly.
Check the fuel pressure when the engine is cranking. Remove the fuel transfer pump if the fuel pressure is too low. The fuel transfer pump must be repaired or replaced.

The engine lacks power.

Probable Cause

Fuel of low quality is in the fuel system.
Remove the fuel from the fuel tank. Install a new fuel filter. Put a good grade of clean fuel in the fuel tank.

The fuel pressure is low.
Make sure that sufficient fuel is in the fuel tank. Look for leaks or suspect bends in the fuel line between the fuel tank and the fuel transfer pump. Remove any air in the fuel system. Check the outlet pressure of the fuel transfer pump.

The valve lash is not correct.
Adjust the valve lash.

A fuel injection nozzle is not operating correctly.
Run the engine at the rpm that gives maximum misfiring or rough running. Then, loosen a fuel line nut on the injection line for each cylinder. Loosen one nut at a time. Then, tighten that nut before the next fuel line nut is loosened. If loosening the fuel line nut does not affect the operation of the engine, the fuel injection nozzle is probably suspect. Test the fuel injection nozzle for that cylinder. Replace the suspect fuel injection nozzle.

Make sure that all of the fuel injection nozzles are the correct type for the engine. Test the pressure setting of the fuel injection nozzles.

If you need further help, please let me know.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Here are the cycle times....
Curl to dig. 4.2
Curl to dump 2.5
Stick in 3.0
Stick out 2.9
Rotate 6.9
They sound okay?
I will get to work with the info you sent.
Thanks for your thoroughness.
I will request you in future.
Thanks Michael

Yes, your cycle times are good.

The only one to add is boom up. A standard machine is about 3 to 3.5 seconds.

With the attachments you are using, I would expect 3.5 to 4 seconds.

Those buckets are too wide to use with the extra weight of the thumb. You are overloading the machine and probably having issues with it tipping when working over the sides.

The machine has the power to do the work but, it is just not balanced as well as a lighter machine would be.

I doubt you are in in danger of breaking anything but, you should monitor main boom foot joint and stick to boom joint for cracks.

If you have a good operator that does not abuse the machine, it will still last a long time.