Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a problem with a cat D5m it will Not steer to the…

Customer Question
I have a problem...

I have a problem with a cat D5m it will Not steer to the right the left is fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Construction Equipment Mechanic can help you best.

I have checked the system pressures on both clutches 420psi when you are moving forward stria

Mechanic's Assistant: Thank you.

But when you want to turn to the right the pressure is supposed to drop down this happens or the left ok and it steers to the left, I disconnected the solenoids the right track still has full power and 420psi the left dose not drive, and is 0 psi. I have had the control valve assy off and apart,cleaned new o ring seals,checked spools,4 orifice units,reassembled refitted! Still the same problem.I am wondering if the control valve assy is cracked internally,I have changed the solenoids and valve assys over,eg l/h to r/h

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Construction Equipment Mechanic should know?

This problem happened all of a sudden,eg machine had been working great almost all day.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/2/2016
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 2 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Please post the full machine serial number with your reply.

Have you checked voltage to the left and right solenoids?

Have you checked the current to the left and right solenoids?

Do you have CAT ET or the 4C-8195 control service tool (Clicker Box) to test the wiring and ECM?

Do you have any faults codes? If so, please post them here and identify the active codes from the logged codes.

You can try switching the control wire from the lift steering solenoid to the right solenoid and see if you can control the pressure. This would at least show the right control is not working.

I have not seen a cracked valve but, I can't say it won't happen. I seriously doubt the pressures would be correct if it was the problem.

I will be away today (morning here US East) but, can reply back more tonight. I will opt-out and leave the question for others if you would prefer.

Hi The machine s/n is D4M-XL ICK11131
Pin number is *****
Trans Number is *****
I have checked the voltages to the coils 23vdc,this varies down to 0vdc depending where you move the steering paddle, I have changed the coils over from left to right- no change.
I have changed the valve assemblies from left to right no change.
I have plugged the left side wiring into the right -no change.
the pressure to the right track clutch stays the same through all these tests,420psi
I have just done another test ,removed the test point from the right clutch and install a hose to return the oil back to the trans, this stopped the track.!!
so I am thinking the problem is in the control valve assy.
And no I do not have a Cat ET,
Thanks for your help. Jeff.

Great job troubleshooting. You have eliminated everything else, the only item left is the control valve.

The pressure reducing spool must be sticking or it has an orifice plugged. I would recommend taking the valve back out and looking closer at the steering clutch spools. Maybe even swap sides to see if the problem is in a spool or the valve.

This is a 1997 model. An update was done to the valve in 2002. Attached are details of the improvements.

Parts are still available so, you should not need to replace the whole assembly if you find a problem with the spools.

Otherwise it might be an option to search for a used one.

(###) ###-####- VALVE

BASIC VALVE (1378796 N/S)
EFFECTIVE WITH SERIAL NO. 5ES00001-5ES01234, 6AS00001-6AS00619
PART OF(###) ###-####Page 254,(###) ###-####Page 255 01/04/2004

If I can help you further, please let me know.

Do you need more help with this? Please let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer to close this question. I will be glad to help more if needed.