Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I HAVE A CAT 252B SKID STEER. THE BRAKES LIGHT BLINKS ON AND…

Customer Question
I HAVE A CAT 252B...
I HAVE A CAT 252B SKID STEER. THE BRAKES LIGHT BLINKS ON AND THE BREAKS AND SEAT BELT LIGHT WILL NOT GO OFF AFTER PUSHING THE RELEASE BUTTON. PLEASE ADVISE
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/28/2016
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 2 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Are both lights flashing at anytime?

The Seatbelt/Armrest light and Parking brake light (I meant to say)?

If it is just the Parking Brake light, follow the guide below.

Parking Brake Indicator Is Flashing

Test Step 1. CHECK FOR A FLASHING PARKING BRAKE INDICATOR BEFORE THE SYSTEM IS ENABLED

1. Occupy the seat.

1. Place the armrest in the DOWN position.

1. Turn the key start switch to the ON position.

Expected Result:

The parking brake indicator should be on.

Results:

• OK - The parking brake indicator is on. Proceed to Test Step 4.

• NOT OK - The parking brake indicator is flashing. Proceed to Test Step 2.

• NOT OK - The parking brake indicator is off.

Repair: The parking brake indicator is not working properly. See Testing and Adjusting, "Parking Brake Indicator and Armrest Indicator Do Not Function Correctly".

Stop.

Test Step 2. CHECK THE CIRCUIT FOR THE PARKING BRAKE SWITCH FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

1. Turn the key start switch to the OFF position.

1. Raise the cab. See Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Cab Tilting".

1. Locate the interlock ECM. The interlock ECM is located on the left side of the machine beneath the access cover on the floor of the machine.

1. Disconnect the wire harness from the ECM.

1. Measure the resistance from contact 42 to contact 3 (wire F780-PK to wire 201-BK) on the wire harness connector.

Expected Result:

The resistance should be greater than 3000 Ohms.

Results:

• OK - The resistance is greater than 3000 Ohms.

Repair: The ECM is very unlikely to have failed. Reconnect all connections and visually inspect the wire harness. Verify that the diagnostic code still exists. If the diagnostic code still exists perform the Test Steps again.Replace the ECM, if the cause of the diagnostic code was not found after the second attempt. See Testing and Adjusting, "Electronic Control Module (ECM) - Replace".

Stop.

• NOT OK - The resistance is not greater than 3000 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 3.

Test Step 3. CHECK THE PARKING BRAKE SWITCH

1. Lower the cab.

1. Remove the parking brake switch.

1. Disconnect the wire harness from the switch.

1. Measure the resistance from terminal 2 to terminal 3 of the parking brake switch.

Expected Result:

The resistance should be greater than 5000 Ohms.

Results:

• OK - The resistance is greater than 5000 Ohms.

Repair: The wire harness has failed. Repair the wire harness and/or the connector or replace the wire harness and/or the connector.

Stop.

• NOT OK - The resistance is not greater than 5000 Ohms.

Repair: The parking brake switch has failed. Replace the parking brake switch.

Stop.

Test Step 4. CHECK FOR A FLASHING PARKING BRAKE INDICATOR AFTER THE SYSTEM IS ENABLED

Note: The seat will still need to be occupied and the armrest will need to be down. The key start switch will also need to be in the ON position.

1. Press and release the parking brake switch.

Expected Result:

The parking brake light should be off.

Results:

• OK - The parking brake light is off.

Repair: There is no problem at this time.

Stop.

• NOT OK - The parking brake is flashing. Proceed to Test Step 5.

Test Step 5. CHECK THE CIRCUIT OF THE HYDROSTATIC PILOT VALVE

1. Measure the resistance between contact 29 and contact 68 (wire H416-GN and wire 975-WH) of the wire harness connector.

Expected Result:

The resistance should be approximately 11 Ohms.

Results:

• OK - The resistance is approximately 11 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 7.

• NOT OK - The resistance is not approximately 11 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 6.

Test Step 6. CHECK THE HYDROSTATIC PILOT VALVE

1. Locate the hydrostatic pilot valve.

1. Disconnect the wire harness from the hydrostatic pilot valve.

1. Measure the resistance of the coil of the hydrostatic pilot valve.

Expected Result:

The resistance should be approximately 10.5 Ohms.

Results:

• OK - The resistance is approximately 10.5 Ohms.

Stop.

• NOT OK - The resistance is not approximately 10.5 Ohms.

Repair: The coil of the hydrostatic pilot valve has failed. Replace the coil.

Stop.

Test Step 7. CHECK THE CIRCUIT OF THE HYDROSTATIC PILOT SOLENOID FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

1. Measure the resistance from contact 3 to contact 24 (wire 201-BK to wire G988-OR) of the wire harness connector.

Expected Result:

Results:

Stop.

• NOT OK - The resistance is not greater than 5000 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 8.

Test Step 8. CHECK THE HYDROSTATIC PILOT SOLENOID FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

1. Locate the hydrostatic pilot solenoid.

1. Disconnect the hydrostatic pilot solenoid from the wire harness.

1. Measure the resistance from the two solenoid wires to the machine frame.

Expected Result:

Results:

Stop.

Repair: The hydrostatic pilot solenoid has failed. Replace the coil of the hydrostatic pilot solenoid.

Stop.

•  

Let me know the results of your testing if you need more help.

This should show you were the problem is located.

I HAVE TRIED THESE TESTS AND CAN NOT DETERMINED THE PROBLEM.

If you can post the results of this testing, I will be glad to help you locate the trouble.

CAN NOT POST THE RESULTS OF TEST. DID NOT RECORD THEM.

Ok, I will OPT-OUT and maybe someone else can help you.

THANK YOU
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi Jerry, My name is***** see you are having troubles with your Cat Skidsteer. Donnie ( Current Cat field serviceman) was able to post the actual test procedure for the problem you are having. I was Field service for Cat in the past as well. I am very impressed you got through the complete circuit test sequence within 5 minutes of the information being posted unless of course you already performed this test before coming to JA for help. If that is the case and you did not record the data you will have to get your meter out and run through the tests again and post the results. Any field technician would have to do the same to isolate your problem. It comes down to the potential components listed in the test procedure and without testing you would be only guessing which ones to replace which could get expensive. Can you retest and record the results?

Hi Jerry, Did you get this resolved or still need help?