Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

CAT IT28 WHEEL LOADER-WHILE PLOWING SNOW DEPRESSED LEFT

BRAKE PEDAL TO SHIFT FROM...
CAT IT28 WHEEL LOADER-WHILE PLOWING SNOW DEPRESSED LEFT BRAKE PEDAL TO SHIFT FROM REVERSE TO FORWARD AND NOW LOADER WILL NOT MOVE-CAT TECH TOOK PRESSURE READING AT FILTER HOUSING AND HAD 0 PSI. SAID IT NEEDS TRANSMISSION PUMP-REMOVED PUMP AND FOUND SOME LIGHT SCRATCHES IN HOUSING SO IT GOT REPLACED-CHECKED SUCTION FILTER,CLEAN WITH SOME SMALL METAL SHAVINGS ON MAGNET-REASSEMBLED-REMOVED AIR FITTING ON LEFT SIDE OF TRANS,VALVE INSIDE MOVES SMOOTH-CRANKED ENGINE WITH FILTER OFF UNTIL FLOW COME OUT-INSTALLED FILTER-TEST RAN AND STILL HAVE NO PRESSURE.ASSUMING A PROBLEM WITH NEUTRALIZER.NOT SURE WHERE TO GO NEXT
1988 IT28B
2/11/2016
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi Tom, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. What is the serial number of your machine. It sounds like the neutralizer valve is sticking and holding the transmission in neutral. This should have been the first area that was looked into if the tech knew that it happened right when the left pedal was pressed.

Problem 1

The transmission does not operate in any gear.

Probable Causes

1. The fuse for the transmission shifter is open or the fuse for the transmission shifter is blown.

1. There is a problem in the electrical circuit. Check ET for active diagnostic codes.

1. There is low system voltage.

1. The transmission shift control unit is faulty.

1. There is low oil pressure.

1. The torque converter has failed.

1. There is mechanical failure in the transmission.

1. The clutch discs and plates are worn too much.

1. The brake pressure sensor is inoperative.

1. The parking brake is engaged.

1. The Machine Security System is active.

1. The transmission direction and speed control lever and the transmission direction control switch are both in FORWARD or REVERSE.

Are there any faults or warning indicators?

SN 1HF00794

Click on this link

Troubleshooting

If this an F or a G series?

Mechanical Trans. Shift cables, air line for neutralizerIT28B

Ok thanks... further back in vintage... Let me see what I can pull up...

ThanksLooks like valve body might be under top cover

I remember those. I had the pleasure of rebuilding one of those transmissions before. It has been a while...

Going to lose wifi soon,will be back in about 90 minutes

No problem ... we can follow up as needed.... I will need some time to look some things up...

I would pull that valve apart for the neutralizer and look for any gummed up deposits/trash etc causing it to stick. You will likely have to pull up the floor to access it as well as articulate and remove the under cab skirting.....

Let me know

Ok
Any valve body pictures available?
Is there a plastic ball in the valve body that can wear out?

Hi Tom. Diagrams require a subscription to SIS or the parts book for your serial number which I do not have but the dealer will likely print out some parts breakdowns for you. I will see what I can do though

Thanks Dan,will be taking it apart tomorrow.
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 6 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Dan asked for details about this valve. Here are details about the transmission control valve, include cut-away views.

Hi Tom, Donnie was able to help with the information you were looking for. Let either of us know if you need any more help.

Hi, did you get this resolved?

Still working on it.

Thanks for the update. Keep me posted.

Dan, Technician