Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have an 840B allis chalmers wheel loader and it's been…

I have an 840B allis...
I have an 840B allis chalmers wheel loader and it's been working fine. But it now won't go into gear. All hydraulics work on the bucket but can't get it to engage forward or reverse. Can you offer me some guidance on what and how to trouble shoot it?
My first time I'm past 20 minutes
1/23/2016
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi Todd, My name is***** help on here as I am able in between jobs etc and will be glad to help you with your question. We can post back and forth as needed to help isolate your problem with your machine.

OkAre you familiar with the 840b allis chalmers articulate loader

Check the shift control for full engagement in all gear positions. Since this is 1979 vintage It is likely mechanical linkage rather than electric shift.

I have checked all the linkage and watched the shift assembly housing it's going in and out properly.Is it ok if I call you

I work on all equipment, History, Cat field service, Komatsu/Dresser, Volvo, Deere/Hitachi, JCB Dealers. and 2 Major Heavy highway contractors/Quarry mechanic befor going independent

Dan, Technician
Phone call session started

A call is an additional service over and above your initial deposit. It is up to you. I can send over the request or we can post back and forth here. I will be leaving with my family for a movie but will be back on later tonight

Can you call before you leave

Check the transmission filter and suction strainer for signs of metal/debris indicating a converter or transmission internal problem. Look for discoloration of oil and burnt smell as well

Change filter very minor metal elements looked like normal wear nothing major. Where is the screen

Where are you located? Might be better to call me but yes I have a few I can chat before heading out.

Click on this link for the parts manual.

Parts Catalog

I don't have your number I sent you mine(###) ###-####
I drained transmission no real metal flakes. Checked strainer screen it was clear. Checked pressure and have none...... The charging pump seems to not be working?

Thanks for the update. Either the converter has failed and the pump is not turning to pick up the oil, there is a problem with the oil pickup, or failed pump or regulator. See PDF page 209 in the parts book for the charge pump, filter and regulator. Check that the pump is turning and the regulator is free of damage and debris.