Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Our Cat digger loader arrived back from site and could only…

Customer Question
Hi Our Cat digger loader...
Hi Our Cat digger loader arrived back from site and could only go forward but not reverse. after checking the machine the gear box oil was very low, we top it up and now it dont want to go forward or back. we discover a leak at the prop at the bottom, it seems to me that the gear lever is donig nothing if we move it, it cant go back or forward. if you can help please or give me a reputable machanic in cape town.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
1/19/2016
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. What is the complete model numbers and serial number of your machine?

it is a cat 428B with the extended boom at the back i think it is a 2004 model

Hi Sedick, I believed the B model dates back in the 90s Is your shift linkage for forward and reverse all mechanical or is it an electrical shift controller? Check the transmission filter and oil for signs of metal/debris and discoloration of oil an burnt smell indicating an internal failure. Let me know.

you right it is 1994 model and it is mechanical shift we have loose a pipe at the torch converter and found metal in the oil.

Thanks for the info. If it is aluminum it is converter failure. check the filter and suction strainer to see if there is any friction material/clutches, steel, or all aluminum. Let me know as it will help determine whether you might be able to get by with a full flush, charge pump, oil cooler and converter

Hi, Did you get this resolved?