Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and Road Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Construction and Road Equipment

My skidsteer just keeps "cycling" or resetting when I try to

Customer Question
start it. Don't...
my skidsteer just keeps "cycling" or resetting when I try to start it. Don't know what is problem
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
1/11/2016
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi Chuck, my name is***** is the make model and serial number of your skidsteer?

2008 John Deere 332
did u answer my question? I provided the make and model

Hi Chuck, Thanks for the info and follow up. We can post back and forth as needed. When you say cycling could you explain in more detail what functions are effected? What is working and what is not working? Will it turn over but not start or not turn over at all?

Dan,
When I turn the key, all the dash lights turn on, and the fuel pump runs (cycles), and the gauges move to 100%, then back to normal. Then immediately, I hear a beep, and it starts all over again (the dash lights turn on, the fuel pumps runs and the gauges go all the way up, then back down.) It keeps doing this over and over. I tried to turn the key to the start position while it was doing this, but nothing changed. I disconnected and then reconnected the battery (trying to reset the computer) but nothing happened. Do you know what the problem is, or what I should try? thanks

Thanks for the info Chuck. That is an odd one for sure. Check to see if you have a relay that is failing causing this. When it does this listen for a relay clicking when everything resets to cycle again. also clean and inspect all your grounds and battery to starter connections. another potential cause is a faulty ECU or a problem in the harness. Let me know the results and if we need to dig deeper into this.

Dan,
I wish you had seen this problem before so you knew what is causing it, and could provide more definitive actions I should try. I did some troubleshooting on the grounds, and tracked wiring but I didn't find anything odd. I still have the same problem. Is my next step to start change parts? (change wiring harnesses, ECU, relays) Is there anyway I can test parts to see if they are still good? thanks Chuck

Hi Chuck for your relays just select a known good one and try swapping it out one at a time for test purposes. Always start at the battery.... test your battery with a digital tester for its internal condition for potential bad cells etc.. clean inspect and tighten all your grounds and cable connections between your batteries and starter... try a wiggle test on the harness to see if you can manipulate this problem to happen by wiggling the harness which would indicate a loose or corroded connection. Let me know

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dan,
I checked all the wires, and connections for anything that was loose, broken or didn't look right. I didn't find anything there, I will test the battery with my meter the next time I go out there. Is there a relay (or a way to identify a relay) that is known to be good? Can you suggest one that I grab and use as my test relay? thanks
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago

Hi Chuck, Thanks for the update. Turn on the lights or use the horn and if the functions work properly and the relay is good then use one of those to swap one at a time with another function.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, I know the lights work so I can use that relay as a test. Am I checking a relay or a fuse? Do the lights have a relay? (I know they have a fuse?) What am I checking to see if it is "failing" Fuel pump relay? Is there a starter relay? and ignition switch relay?

Is this a D series machine? Do you have the serial number by chance?

D series is different from a straight 332..... Click on this link and see PDF pages 146 for the troubleshooting section and if this is a D series let me know if it will display any fault codes. I was under the impression this was a straight 332 at first.

Troubleshooting

Dan, Technician