Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I am working on a J.D. 280 skid steer loader. It's cold up…

I am working on a...
I am working on a J.D. 280 skid steer loader. It's cold up here and the operator started the machine and immediately started driving it, It puked a lot of hydraulic fluid out - presumably a leak. I cannot find a leak, add about two gallons of hyd. fluid, the fluid in the tank I very foamy. Start the machine and nothing happens, no drive, and the controls for the bucket/boom are locked. I've changed the control panel that is incorporated in the dash, I've pulled the hydrostatic drive unit away from the bell housing and checked the drive coupler - all good. Is there something in the system that would shut everything down like this. I could not find a leak it appears it all came out the breather when the operator aerated the system.
12/30/2015
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi Mark, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. Check inside the hydraulic filter for signs of fine metal/debris indicating a failed pump/hydrostatic drive. It sounds like the leak if coming from the vent is excessive case drain pressure. If there were no leak involved and the symptoms you experienced I would say it would be a safety interlock problem or control valve but from you description it is flagging a mechanical failure in the hydraulic pumps. Let me know

I'll go pull the filter and look for that. From what tech support said this system is direct drive to the hydrostatic and no matter what else is wrong in the system there should always be power to the drive wheels. The park brake will lock the wheels but the hydrostatic pumps will still whine/try to pull when the controls are moved. This machine does nothing, that's why I pulled the pumps back and checked the drive coupler. I can hardly believe both hydro drives failed at the same time.

I was thinking drive coupler initially myself but I see you checked it. Did the pump shaft turn with any resistance when it was apart? Let me know

Dan, Technician