Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and Road Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Construction and Road Equipment

My 445CT has been running great.....when all of a sudden I

Customer Question
lost ability to lift/lower the...
My 445CT has been running great.....when all of a sudden I lost ability to lift/lower the arm. I can still curl bucket, move tracks back/forward, but I get nothing when I push my left joystick to the sides. Any idea of where to start?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The 445 is up at my Mt House which I will be at late tomorrow(meaning can't puts hands on til then), but wanted to get ball rolling in case I need to pick up a part
12/30/2015
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

445CT Case loader? What type controls do you have? All I see are mechanical, which go direct to the control valve. So is the control moving the spool in the control valve when you move the control l/r? If the spool is moving, you can have one of the lift cylinders with internal leakage, which affects both lift cylinders. To check you would figure out which hose would be return as you work lever in one direction, remove the hose and then activate control. If oil pours out cylinder open hole, cylinder is bad, if it pours from removed hose, the opposite cylinder is the bad one.

The control valve does have lock solenoids that can keep the spool from moving, but that would lock the handle from moving the spools. If the spool is moving, it seems to be cylinder related!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is a Case 445CT Compact track loader. It has dual joysticks, left controls left track and up/down and right controls right track and bucket curl. Where is the control valve located? Want to be sure I am checking the right part in the right place
I will be able to test what you are recommending later today and will let you know what I find out.

The linkage from the hand control has to go direct to the control valve, Does control feel like it is working? Follow the linkage and see if the spool in the control valve is moving back and forth as you move hand R/L. If spool is moving in the valve, cylinder leaking would be my first look. Control valve shows to be mounted on the left side, inner frame, just below the boom cylinder base area, it is a multi spool valve, boom, bucket, auxiliary.

My response keeps showing as customer!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If so, that means the mechanic who changed all the fluids about 20hrs of runtime ago put in the wrong fluid. He used tractor hydraulic fluid. Could this mistake have caused my current problem? Do you recommend I completely drain out all the existing hydraulic fluid and replace with 10W-30? Will any 10W-30 motor oil work in this case?

The 10w30 is the correct oil, but if you are in the cold,I doubt that the tractor/hydraulic fluid has caused any problems. Do you know what weight oil was used, as all tractor.hydraulics are not the same. And yes, any good 10w30 that will meet the Case specs will work.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I live in GA, so more on warm side than cold(especially this year.
O'Reilly 303 Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission Oil
Will using this Hydraulic oil harm anything? Will definitely flush out and replace with 10W30 if needed.
I am back in mountains, and have access to 445. Can you walk me thru how to check control valve? When I push joystick right/left, doesn't feel like anything is happening.

Follow the linkage, direct to the control valve. You say you have service manual? The valve linkage connects to one of the spools in the control valve, the spool has to move in for one direction, out for the other. If the linkage is off or broken, spool does not move and boom will not go up! The other two spools are for bucket and auxiliary. Work the tilt spool and watch operation of the spool. The boom spool should work the same.

I would swap out the oil and filters before summer returns!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It turns out the problem was with a lever behind the right joystick. Somehow it moved and will not stay "unlocked". I ended up tack-welding the lever to the frame and it is working now.

Good job! So valve was not being moved. Please rate to close. Thanks!

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician