Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Mustang MTL 20 Skid steer, I just replaced all the…

I have a Mustang MTL...
I have a Mustang MTL 20 Skid steer, I just replaced all the relays and now I have an issue with blowing a 30 amp fuse for the control arm, it blows when the machine warms up after about 10 minutes. If the machine cools down it will work again. What could the problem be?
12/23/2015
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. What is your serial number? Did this happen only after the relays were swapped? If so be sure there is not a shorted relay an if one is potentially a different part number or configuration relay. Let me know

I'm not sure the serial number, as my machine is located at my weekend farm. The hydraulics were not working and it was recommended to replace the relay, I decided to change all 5 while doing it, once I replaced I noticed the 30 amp control arm fuse was blown, I replaced and everything worked fine for about 10-15 min, after that the fuse blew and each time I replaced it instantly blew again, after allowing it to cool down for hours, I replaced the fuse and was able to move it to the garage. It seems to happen only when it warms up. My nephew seems to think that he may inadvertently switched the wires on the relay when troubleshooting, however if it is only a relay how or why would that make a difference and why would it work for 10 minutes or so?

If the wires got switched it could be sending power to a ground casing a short in the circuit and could be why it is blowing a fuse. See if he can point out what wires he was playing with and if he remembers which ones he had out he could swap them back.

Relays work off of both power and ground so this could have caused a short to ground, etc

He does remember, I will try when I go back down, it will be sometime next week. I'm not sure that it makes sense that everything works fine for 10-15 minutes then all of sudden shuts down, what is the purpose of that specific relay?

which circuit relay?

If the relay wiring is not wrong then it will likely be a harness short or a solenoid shorted internally.

Control arm relay

Click this link and see pdf page 86 and let me know if this looks like your relay set up.

http://www.dracoequipment.com/Takeuchi%20Manuals/Takeuchi%20Track%20Loaders%20Parts%20Manuals/PARTS%20MANUAL%20TL140%20BT9Z009-2.pdf

Hi Tom, did you get this resolved?

Dan, Technician