Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Our church and I both have a Ditch Witch SK300 mini skid…

My name is Marlyn...

My name is Marlyn. Our church and I both have a Ditch Witch SK300 mini skid steer and both have the same problem. The right hand drive control only provides minimal power to the right hand track. There is no motion when the right hand control lever is at full forward or reverse. Moving the control lever from its neutral position results in no motion until about half way between full forward or reverse. Left hand drive works good as does the hydraulics for the bucket.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Any particulars you need beyond what is in my original note?

Mechanic's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $54) to post your type of question to Heavy Equipment Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes, I can wait.

12/21/2015
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 6 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

I see no one has answered your inquiry. The control for the right and left side drive is a cable operated lever? Follow the cable to the f/r lever on the valve, and work the valve manually, to see if it works correctly. If it does, either the cable needs adjustment, or replaced. The control valve has to have full travel for the unit to operate correctly.

The DW SK300 is a tracked mini skid steer and all controls are hydraulic. The problem has to be either the right side hydraulic pump and control or the hydraulic track drive motor. Trying to narrow the problem and could use some diagnostic suggestions.

I know all controls are hydraulic. Is the operating lever directly attached to the control valve? Or cable operated? If it is the pump or motor, it system has to be pressure checked .

Lever is attached directly to the integrated control valve/pump. System pressure specif. is 2320 psi. To check I will need to purchase a high pressure gauge or rent one if that is possible. To check the system pressure do I disconnect a line from the pump to the motor and dead head into the gauge or make up a tee to insert into the line? I'll look for your response tomorrow since I'm turning in for the evening.

You have to dead head the pump. You can do it by locking the track, so the motor does not turn,

That will let pressure come up and motor will be stalled.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician