Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and Road Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Construction and Road Equipment

Willy here.i have a volvo ec140, serial no. ec 140v11734.

Customer Question
Customer: hi dan, willy here.i...
Customer: hi dan, willy here.i have a volvo ec140, serial no. ec 140v11734.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: its showing fault no 128pid 454 and the charging light is on all the time, we have put in a new preheater relay, alternator has been checked twice, its shows this fault even before you start the engine. it will flatten the batteries in roughly an hr working the machine
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $54) to post your type of question to Heavy Equipment Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
12/17/2015
Mechanic: dieseldan55, Mechanic replied 2 years ago
dieseldan55
dieseldan55, Mechanic

Hello, What type of display do you have, a digital screen with four buttons or an analog screen?

Language Code
GB
Product
WLO
Group
321
No.
25
Version
1
Date
06/17/2013
Applies to
Wheel Loaders
Battery and alternator test procedure
NOTE!
Please pay attention to the safety instructions in the Operator's and Service Manuals concerned.
This Service Bulletin is to be considered as technical information only and is not subject to any reimbursement programs outside normal warranty.
Cause
Some alternators without any failure have been returned. Also batteries without failure have been replaced.
Action
Before replacing alternators and/or batteries, follow the work instruction in this Service bulletin. Both alternator and battery can be checked under field conditions to find the root cause by following the work instruction.
The work instruction is valid for all 24 Volt machines.
Work instruction
Tools Part No.
Multimeter 88890074
Clip-on ampere meter 88890091
Battery capacity check
Op nbr
1.
Figure 1

The battery should not be used for minimum 2 hours before the test.
2. Test the battery voltage.
Battery voltage Equivalent approx. capacity
25.44 V 100%
24.24 V 50%
23.20 V 5–10%
NOTE!
If the battery voltage is low, check if the batteries need to be charged. If so, check the battery voltage again after charging. If the voltage is still low, the batteries are damaged and should be replaced.
Alternator check
Op nbr
1. Check the battery voltage (see above).
2. Start the engine and raise the engine rpm for a short time (charging warning lamp off).
3. Switch off all possible electrical consumers.
4. Monitor the battery voltage for approx. 2 minutes on low idle.
5. The battery voltage should increase depending on the battery capacity. The voltage should reach between 26.00 V – 28.50 V.
NOTE!
If the battery voltage does not increase with the engine running, the alternator is damaged and should be replaced.
Alternator output check

Figure 2

Op nbr
1. Install the clip-on ampere meter (testing range 100 A) on the alternator wire B+, connect the clip-on ampere meter to the multimeter for displaying the value.
2. Start the engine and raise the engine rpm for a short time, check that the charging warning lamp is off.
3. With the engine on low idle, check the alternator output current on the multimeter. Note the value.
4. Switch on as many electrical consumers as possible, e.g. the cab fan on max speed and lamps (head lamps, working lamp on cab and fenders).
5. Raise the engine rpm to maximum (high idle).
6. With the engine on high idle and electrical consumers on, check the alternator output current on the multimeter. Note the value. The output value on high idle should be higher than on low idle. (Each lamp raises the current with approx. 2.5 A. If work lamp on cab front and fenders are on at the same time as the headlamps and fan, the high idle value shall be 10–20 A higher.)
7. After check, shut down the engine and remove tools.
NOTE!
If the alternator output is the same, or not significantly higher on high idle with electrical consumers on than on low idle, the alternator is damaged.

It has the digital screen with four buttons

Okay thanks for that info, here is what i would do. Remove the display from cab and flip over and remove the four torx screws in the back cover. Then after slipping the cover off, inspect the small circuit board plug at bottom of unit for corrosion or water stains. Its very possible the display is bad keeping the light on. In addition the main relays in the relay box can also get stuck and keep a draw on the machine with key off. Due a amp draw check on the batteries with a multi meter set to amps setting and disconnect the negative cable from 24volt post. Place the meter inline with the post and removed cable to see if there is any amps flowing. You should have key off when doing this. If your seeing higher than .05 then I would suspect a component failure.

hi, would you have a wiring diagram for that model of track machine

Yes, what circuit are you looking for?

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician