Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Morning I have a 428C Backhoe model 1997 Serial 2CR. I do…

Customer Question
Morning I have a 428C Backhoe...
Morning
I have a 428C Backhoe model 1997 Serial 2CR. I do not get the machine to move forward or reverse. The gearshift on the lefthand side of the stearing wheel has the forward and reverse action aswell as the change of gears postion 1 to 4. I read on the net there is an neutral safety swith located in the harness. I can not find the safety switch. Can you point out to me where it is located. I have also change the gearbox oil and filter stillthe same problem. I have check the fuses all fine.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
12/3/2015
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 6 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

The "C" model backhoe loader does not have a neutral safety switch. This feature is designed into the shuttle control shifter attached to the steering column.

If this function is not working, you will not be able to start the engine with the key switch. It has not effect on the transmission operation.

You do have a transmission "lockout" switch which is located on the front console and should be beside the All Wheel Drive switch.

This switch does function as a safety "lockout" to prevent transmission engagement when repairing the machine.

Also, the parking brake lever has a switch that prevents the transmission to engage if the lever is applied.

(You can override this feature on some models by shifting back to neutral and into the same direction twice. It should sound the alarm when this happens.)

Did you find anything in the oil from the transmission?

Did you cut open the filter and inspect it for debris?

Have you checked the power at the shifter? (Pin #1 is the battery + power and Pin #2 is the negative - ground.)

If you need further help on this machine, please post the full machine serial number with your reply.

Good dayThe full serial number is ***** follows
2CR021895I have asked the local Cat dealer for the dashboard layout with the switches that clearly mark all switches. They can not help. It could be that there is some faulty switches because of the age of the machineTo answer your question about the oil
It was quite clean and not many debrisI will check all switches today and the switch at the parking brakeDo you have a dashboard layout of the switches. The mark and names on the dashboard has faded an I can not make out what stands thereThanks
Adriaan

Unfortunately, the Owners Manual does not have a single image of all the controls and switches.

I did pull out an image of the switch location for you though.

Here is the description from the manual,

TRANSMISSION NEUTRAL LOCK - The transmission neutral lock is located on the left side of the front dash.

LOCKED - Move the transmission direction control lever to the NEUTRAL position. Press the top of the switch in order to lock the transmission direction control lever into the NEUTRAL position.

UNLOCKED - Press the bottom of the switch in order to deactivate the transmission neutral lock.

Note: If the transmission neutral lock has been activated, you must shift the direction control lever into the NEUTRAL position before you shift the direction control lever into the FORWARD position. If the transmission neutral lock has been activated, you must shift the direction control lever into the NEUTRAL position before you shift the direction control lever into the REVERSE position. The direction control lever must be shifted into the NEUTRAL position in order to allow movement of the machine.

Note: When you exit the machine push the top of the transmission neutral lock switch in order to prevent the machine from moving out of the NEUTRAL position. Engage the parking brake in order to prevent machine movement when the transmission is in neutral. Refer to the Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Transport Positions".

To the left of this switch should be the All Wheel Drive switch and the far left is the Hazard (flasher)switch. Above it is the turn signal switch.

It is always recommended a copy of the Owners manual be kept with the machine. It is a great reference for service personal and operators and a key component of any safety plan.

You can order them from the CAT website or the dealer. This book is not a service manual and is much cheaper.

Operation and Maintenance Manual
416C, 426C, 428C, 436C and 438C Backhoe Loaders

Media Number -SEBU6873-05

https://www.cattechmanuals.com/

If you need more help with this, please let me know. I will be glad to help.

HiOk this is what i have done nowChanged all three relays at the panel where the ignition is
I have disconnected the switch at the hand brake
Changed all six the relays at the steering side
Checked the voltage at the shifter pin 1 and 2 - There is 12 V
Checked all fuses at the steering side all ok
The switch on the right at the left of the steering, i have also tested. If i push it forward no light is on and if i push it down red light comes on
Now
I have tested the continuity at the shifter from pin 1 to all other pins in the shifter in forward and reverse and all gears 1 to 4. No continuity. Maybe we can not test it like that. I have not tested continuity from pin 2 to all the other pinsNow i do not now what to do. Any other suggestions?

I am sorry, I did not recognize this was a powershift transmission. This version is not used in my area so, I did not think yours could be equipped with it.

The powershift version has an ECM controller located in the battery box. With this controller is a LED indicator lamp and it will provide diagnostic flash codes.

I will attach a file to show you how to retrieve the codes. Once you have them, post the results here and I can help you find the problem much quicker.

This transmission has two options. One is the All Wheel Drive and the other is a Fifth Speed range.

The All wheel drive switch is in the same location but, to the right of the steering wheel is more switches.

You may have (from the left to right on the right of the steering wheel) the fifth speed lockout switch, a ride control (cushion) switch, the loader quick-coupler switch and then the horn switch.

Attached is more details for using the diagnostic indicator lamp.

The loader control lever has a neutralizer switch in it also. This is normally closed and powers the direction shifter on the steering column.

Since you had power to the shifter pin #1, this circuit is good.