Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

2007 case 440 skid steer won't shut off and runs rough at

Customer Question

2007 case 440 skid steer won't shut off and runs rough at idle it also seams to lack power
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is***** you still need help with this? Let me know as I will be glad to help. Let me know the serial number of your machine and if the fuel solenoid is still getting power when the IGN switch is off. also check the control lever for shut off to be sure it is engaging in the pump itself or indications of an internal problem inside the pump

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Also check the suction line between the tank and pump to verify you are not sucking in air or have a restriction. Once you verify good fuel supply to the injection pump and confirm the timing is correct the likely cause is the injection pump if you are getting weak fuel delivery to the injectors

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response The units serial # ***** I just bought the skid steer so I don’t have much history with it. The unit was running fine. I tilted the cab forward to look at changing the filters. I put everything back together and started clearing dirt. It ran good for about ten minutes I noticed that it was running rough at idle so I went to shut it off noting happened. I checked voltage at the rotary injection pump fuel shut off solenoid with the key off 0 vdc with the key on 12 vdc I pulled out the fuel shut off solenoid checked operation of the plunger it seems to be in working order. Fuel delivery seems to be okay. I assumed it was an electrical issue with me tilting the cab forward but voltage’s at the solenoid are okay. Is there anything else that controls the operation of the engine. It does have a kksb solenoid I don’t know exactly what it does but I assume it has something to do with low temperature operations. If it is a timing issue, is it normal to lose timing while the unit is running? Im am at a loss to what to check next.
Thanks Jeremy
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the update. Usually on electrical issues the engine will die instantly but since you are running rough it sounds like you have air in the system. I would recheck the filters and also the fuel lines to see if any have cracking by bending the rubber lines and also checking for leaks. then bleed the air from the system to be sure you have straight fuel to the pump. It does not take much for the pump to lose suction. A small pihole on the suction side is enough to lose suction. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if it was sucking air would that cause the engine not to shut off
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jeremy... Sorry for the confusion. I misread as My 5 year old daughter is distracting me since she has no school this week. Haha. You are right. That would be for stalling or rough running if it were sucking air. Test for power when it will not shut off engine running to see if the fuel shutoff still has power when it should not with the IGN switch off. Let me know If not then the fuel shutoff is letting fuel still to the injectors either by a faulty solenoid or internal problem in the pump.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i was hoping you wouldn't say it was the pump. i cant find any info on this pump is ther any test i can preform to verify that it is a pump issue. the solenoid seems to be working properly and the ING switch is good also o vdc at the solenoid when switch is off and 12 vdc when switch is on
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the update. unfortunately it points to a problem with your injection pump. I did find a reasonably priced engine manual which will have some in depth testing and troubleshooting if you are interested here is the link.

https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/233238634-case-new-holland-445-m2-445t