Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and Road Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Construction and Road Equipment

I need help with a catterpillar 236b skidsteer we changed

Customer Question
hi i need help with...
hi i need help with a catterpillar 236b skidsteer we changed the hydraulic pump now it wont work we arent sure how to bleed the hydraulic system properly
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
10/28/2015
Mechanic: Wayne, Journeyman replied 2 years ago
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

This is a little messy

with it running, pus lever for bucket until it stalls

shut the machine off,put a rag over the fittings,

loosen the fitting(crack open) air will purge out with some fluid

do this at the cylinders couple times

Hi if this helped you

Please rate my answer 3 or more stars

If you need more info, use request button

Not Poor/Bad service

the cab is open and the bucket is way up in the air. we are just pre testing to make sure it works before we seal it up again. so you are saying to put it together and move the bucket until it stalls?? its the hydraulic pump for the drive wheels

Thank you for that

drive pump, OK,

engine off, seat bar down key switch on(not running)

open the discharge line, will bleed out a little fluid

then crank the the engine couple times, don't start

NEVER OPEN LINES WITH BUCKET IN THE AIR

what about just opening those 2 bleeder valve at the top

HI

Yes I forgot to mention that open them

while you tap engine over, to bleed air

ok we tried to just k8ck itnover butnit started and sprayed oil out the top breathers. we just cracked them and ran it it in idle and cracked them a bit would leak out then tightened it again. the pump.wont turn when we try to move the controls when started. it moves just a tiny tiny bit like 1/16th inch. i dont think theres air in it.
when we first installed the pump it was close to full maybe an ounce shy at most then we ran it and it wouldnt move.

Hi Thank you for that

the pump don't seem sized does it

i dont think its seized it was brand new and full of oil i dont know why it wont turn is there more we.can do?
it is the hydraulic drive motor thst drives 2 wheels for the skidsteer

Thank you for that

loosen a line at the drive motor , see if you have fluid there

Good that it was full when installed

ya there is

HI

OK, was just going thru the book on it

need to check your suction line, from reservoir to pump

make sure no cracks, kinks

also mentions that it is self bleeding drives

let it get good and warm and idle for 20-25 min

engaging drives every 2-3 minutes

it doesnt seem as though there are any kinks or cracks. will keep trying to enfage the motor, its been running for almost 25 min now and not really any progress. maybe another milimeter in turning. maybe we should try cracking more lines and seeing if there is air anywhere and keep trying to bleed

Hi

Yes , I still believe it has air in motor

keep trying, and bleed it again

there are 3 hoses on the back end of the motor. one large one on top one large.on bottom. a smaller one in the middle. then a tiny line on the front that connects.to the other hydraulic motor in the other side. we bled the top.large line and the bottom large line and the front small line. the top one feeds the pump we know this because we turn the motor over and it comes out of the line not the pump. we arent sure about the bottom. the middle is hard to get to. still not working. maybe it isnbiund up or somethig is there some type of brake on these motors or some other thing to try or just keep trying to bleed?

Hi

The brake is released , when you have lap bar down

and moving the levers

ya the lap bar is down. i meant on the motor or somethingm in sure theres no air in the thing and if there is its gotta be like a tiny little bubble or something

Hi

Yes , keep trying with the book and I have done,

if this does not clear up, you have a pump issue

I have never seen one take this long

it is possible, new pump is faulty , never know

I think I have it figured out. The pump isnmot exactly the same as the other one its a different brand so we think that there ia an alternate brake port on the motor because we tested it and its a brake return line that is getting no pressure so we need to mess with it tomorrow and we will see what we can do.

Morning

I had a feeling it was a pump issue

let me know

Hi if this helped you

Please rate my answer 3 or more stars

Not Poor/Bad service

Hi

I am just following up with t you

did my answer help you

let me know so I get credit for answer,Please

hi wayne im sorry your answer didnt really help i had my buddy come help hes a hydraulic guy he did it for 300 bucks

Hi

Thank you for that

Glad it is going for you,

We thought it was a Pump issue

Have a great day, and careful working

Wayne, Journeyman