Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and Road Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Construction and Road Equipment

416D has been sitting years. starts good hydrolics work 3

Customer Question
416D has been sitting for...
416D has been sitting for several years. starts good
hydrolics work
3 hydrolic pistons rebuilt
Tranny oil replaced
filters replaced
machine does not move foward to reverse
Transmission does not engage
drive shaft does not turn
fuses have been checked
What else can I check?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
10/22/2015
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 2 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

It depends on the transmission type installed in the machine. If it is the standard powershift, you can check the forward and reverse solenoids for power

You can also check for power at the shift controller. Others may require more testing to find if this is an electrical issue. A good circuit will also magnetize the solenoid, place a screwdriver on the end and shift either forward or reverse to see if it is energized.

If no current is present, it may be the shift controller.

If you need more details, please include the full machine serial number with your reply.

Wednesday, October 28, 2015
BFP00248 Cat #
K0000033 transmission #
7SG00623 engine #Still need assistance.
EX: You said: place a screwdriver on the end and shift either forward or reverse to see if it is energized
Can you send any type of real picture to show me what to do, where to place the screwdriver?EX: You said: you can check the forward and reverse solenoids for power
I believe that I have determined where they are located. However, am I to loosen the metal housing and get inside to check something?EX: You said: Others may require more testing to find if this is an electrical issue
All fuses and relays have been verified as working. That is...all to the right of the driver's seat where I removed a panel. Are there more other places?EX: You said: it may be the shift controller
If this means the long shifting device to my right with the small button on the top, I followed the 2 wires and verified that there is power.Hydraulics work fine.
Engine starts good.
Foot pedal raises the RPM's just fine.
Cable broken for the turtle/rabbit lever
Parking brake in proper position
Seat sensor has powerStill can not get unit to move F or R.I see no revolutions of the transmission disk. Center floor panel is removed so I see below.That's it at the moment.If you think solenoids...then I need more direction on where they are and how to ensure they are working.Thank you for your assistance.

Thanks for the serial number. The D series has seen several changes and it is very important to know which machine you have.

I would start by testing the neutralizer switches and then test the resistance of the solenoids.

The transmission solenoids are on the top of the transmission mounted together on a manifold. I will attach an image to show you the location.

You can easily test the circuits from the direction shift handle (FNR-forward-neutral-reverse) connector. Remove the covers around the steering column to access the connector under the shift handle. I will attach an image of the connector pin-out wires to help you see the wires to test. You will need a multi-meter to perform these tests.

To test the neutralizer switches, (buttons are located on the 4 speed shift handle and the loader handle) connect your meter to pins #2 and #9. Set your meter to read ohms and your meter should show OL indicating an open circuit. Press either switch and the meter should read less than 5 ohms, indicting a good closed circuit.
If your meter shows a closed circuit with pressing a button, this will prevent the transmission engaging since this is how these buttons work to neutralize the transmission for shifting or loading. Keep the buttons for sticking or a short in the wire harness.
If this test show the circuits are normal, next test the solenoids.

Connect your meter to pins #2 and #5, you meter is set to ohms and it should show about 8 ohms. This means the solenoid and wiring is good. If this does not show 8 ohms, disconnect the solenoid with the brown and yellow wire and test the solenoid directly for 8 ohms to see if it is correct.
Higher readings indicated poor connection or wiring, lower readings indicates short circuits.
Perform the same test on pins #4 and #6 for the reverse solenoid.

Let me know your results and we can see how to proceed from here.
If all circuit test are good, you will need to pressure test the transmission next.

I am assuming your parking brake is not an issue since this would cause an alarm to sound when you place the lever in either direction, if the parking brake switch was sticking.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician