catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  Field service technician for CAT 19 years.
11546476

I'm considering buying a cat 416 extendahoe. price approx

Customer Question

I'm considering buying a cat 416 extendahoe. price approx $12,000.00. That being said, theres's a hydraulic and brake issue. After doing some reading, it appears this is not a deal. what do you think?
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 1 year ago.

If this is an early 416 (A model not 416B), the brakes are all mechanical and if this is a linkage issue, it will be an easy fix. If they are worn out and no adjustment is left on rod, the axle must be removed and disassembled for repair. Not a bad job but, some tooling is needed if replacing bearings on the differential.

The hydraulics can be tricky. If it is just a weak circuit, this fix is resealing the valves. If all circuits are weak and/or the pump is noisy, then the repairs can be very expensive.

If metal is in the oil or tank, the entire hydraulic system will need cleaning. At a minimum, this requires resealing all rods, flushing the valves and cleaning the tank.

As for the price, I don't have any experience with the sales of machines.

If you need further help with this, please include the full machine serial number with your request.