Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a JD24 skid steer and noticed it backed up faster…

I have a JD24 skid...
I have a JD24 skid steer and noticed it backed up faster (maybe 7 mph) than when run in forward position (maybe 5 mph). Not sure if this is normal or not but gets to my real question. My skid had been running fine and started feeling a jerking motion when lifting the bucket. Within two hours all lift and tilt on the bucket stopped working. Checked my hydro fluid which was below the low mark on the dipstick. Refilled to proper level and still no success in getting bucket to lift. Any ideas?
9/30/2015
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

With the mechanical drive pulley and belt system, the travel of the forward lever has to be tightened to get more sped. Forward and reverse should be the same.

http://jdpc.deere.com/pimages/G589/G5894__________UN01JAN94.gif

Remove the oil filter and check for an metal in it, if you find any, the hydraulic pump has failed.

Thank you and will look at this weekend and see if this will fix the issue

OK, thanks.

I went and looked at my technical manual and you say "tighten the forward levers" are you saying tighten the drive chains that attach to the levers? It appears we have three chains - final drive chain- secondary drive chain - primary drive chain per side. So adjust all three per side? Sorry if this is silly question but just not use to working on skids.

Yes adjust the chains, and be sure the control handles are moving the full travel.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician