Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and Road Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Construction and Road Equipment

I have a code coming up EO-360.01 & EO-360.03 My Cat is a

Customer Question
I have a code coming...
I have a code coming up EO-360.01 & EO-360.03 My Cat is a crawler D6TLGP
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
9/24/2015
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 2 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hello, I am sorry no one could help you earlier. I hope this is not too late to be useful. If you need further help with this, please include the full machine serial number.

This is an engine oil pressure EVENT code.

Event Code - The "E" identifies the code as an event code. The "XXX(X)" represents a numeric identifier for the event code. The fourth "(X)" assigns one of three levels to the active event code according to the severity of the abnormal system condition. Refer to the following example:

E360(1) Low Oil Pressure
E360(2) Low Oil Pressure
E360(3) Low Oil Pressure

The definition for the levels of severity for an event are defined below:

Level 1 - Level 1 alerts the operator that an engine system requires attention. The operator should check that the involved system condition or the operator should perform maintenance on the involved system at the earliest possible time.

Level 2 - Level 2 requires a change in the operation of the engine or the performance of a maintenance procedure. Failure to correct the problem that caused this warning may result in damaged engine components.

Level 3 - Level 3 requires an immediate safe shutdown of the engine in order to avoid damage to the engine or injury to personnel around the engine. The problem that caused the event must be corrected before engine operation can resume.

Oil Pressure Is Low

Note: Severe slopes can cause low oil pressure. If the machine is operated on severe slopes, the oil level in the engine crankcase must be at the "FULL" mark on the dipstick. Refer to Operation and Maintenance Manual for details.

Use this procedure in order to troubleshoot low engine oil pressure. Use this procedure if one of the following event codes is active. Refer to Troubleshooting, "Event Codes" for information about event codes and the default trip points for these codes. For information on the engine monitoring system, refer to Troubleshooting, "Engine Monitoring System".

E360 (1) Low Engine Oil Pressure
Oil pressure is below the specified pressure for at least 8 seconds. A snapshot is triggered. The code is logged. Engine performance is not affected.

E360 (2) Low Engine Oil Pressure
Oil pressure is lower than the specified pressure for at least 4 seconds. Engine power is reduced. A snapshot is triggered. The code is logged. Factory passwords are required.
After 30 seconds, the Engine Control Module (ECM) will shut down the engine if the "Engine Monitoring Mode" parameter is programmed to "Shut down".

E360 (3) Low Engine Oil Pressure
After 30 seconds, the ECM will shut down the engine if the "Engine Monitoring Mode" parameter is programmed to "Shut down".

Probable Causes

Low engine oil level
Aeration in the oil
Low oil viscosity
Plugged Oil Filter
Faulty oil pump
Faulty engine oil pressure sensor
Faulty bypass valve
Damaged suction tube or cracked suction tube
Excessive wear of engine components

Recommended Actions

1. Engine Oil Level

A. Check the engine oil level in the crankcase. Refer to the Operation and Maintenance Manual for calibration of the dipstick gauge. The oil level can possibly be too far below the oil pump supply tube. The oil pump cannot supply enough lubrication to the engine components.

Oil
Result: The engine oil level is low.

Repair: Add engine oil in order to obtain the correct engine oil level. Refer to Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Engine Oil" for the recommendations of engine oil.

Start the engine. Inspect the exterior of the engine for oil leaks. Repair any oil leaks.

Result: The engine oil is not low.

Proceed to Test Step 2.

2. Aerated Oil

A. Sample the engine oil for aeration.

Foamy oil on the dipstick is a good indication of aeration.

Aeration
Result: The oil is aerated.

Proceed to Test Step 8.

Result: The oil is not aerated.

Proceed to Test Step 3.

3. Oil Viscosity

A. Sample the engine oil viscosity. Obtain an S·O·S Oil Analysis to determine the characteristics of the oil.

B. Access the "Cylinder Cutout Test" in the "Diagnostic Tests" under the "Diagnostics" menu.

C. Perform the "Automatic Cylinder Cutout Test" on Cat ET.

Oil Viscosity
Result: The oil viscosity is not correct.

Repair: Replace the engine oil.

Refer to Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Engine Oil" for the recommendations of engine oil. If the symptom is corrected, return the unit to service. If the symptom still exists, proceed to Test Step 4.

Result: The oil viscosity is correct.

Proceed to Test Step 4.

4. Oil Filter

A. Replace the engine oil filter.

Filter
Result: The oil filter was changed.

If the symptom is corrected, return the unit to service.

If the symptom still exists, proceed to Test Step 5.

5. Oil Pump

A. Manually check the engine oil pressure. Refer to Systems Operation/Testing and Adjusting, "Engine Oil Pressure - Test" for the correct procedure.

Oil Pressure
Result: The oil pressure is meets specifications.

Proceed to Test Step 6.

Result: The oil pressure does not meet specifications.

Repair: Replace the oil pump. If the symptom is corrected, return the unit to service.

If the symptom still exists, proceed to Test Step 6.

6. Engine Oil Pressure Sensor

A. Remove the oil pressure sensor.

B. Install a pipe "T" in the pressure sensor port.

C. Install a manual gauge on one side of the pipe "T". Install the oil pressure sensor on the other side of the pipe "T".

D. Start the engine and compare the two readings. The pressure reading must be within ±13.8 kPa (±2 psi).

Sensor
Result The pressure is within
±13.8 kPa (±2 psi).

Proceed to Test Step 7.

Result The pressure is not within
±13.8 kPa (±2 psi).

Repair: Replace the sensor. If the symptom is corrected, return the unit to service.

If the symptom still exists, proceed to Test Step 7.

7. Engine Oil Filter Bypass

A. Replace the oil filter base.

Filter Base
Result: The oil filter base was replaced.

If the symptom still exists, proceed to Test Step 8.

8. Oil Pump Suction Tube

A. Remove the oil pan.

B. Inspect the suction tube. Check the joints of the tube for cracks or for a damaged O-ring seal at the connection to the pump.

C. Inspect the inlet screen of the suction tube for a restriction. This restriction will cause cavitation and a loss of engine oil pressure.

Suction Tube
Result: The suction tube and seal are OK.

Proceed to Test Step 9.

Result: The suction tube and seal are not OK.

Repair: Replace any damaged parts.

9. Worn Engine Components

A. Remove the valve covers.

B. Inspect the camshaft and bearings.

C. Remove the oil pan.

D. Excessive clearance at the crankshaft or camshaft bearings will cause low engine oil pressure. Check the engine components for excessive clearance. Also, inspect the piston cooling jets.

Worn Parts
Result: There are worn engine components.

Repair: Replace parts, if necessary. Check the Reuse and Salvage Guidelines for the reusability of existing engine components.

Serial # ***** 2011 D6TLGP

Slightly different description but, basically the same EVENT problem.

E360 Low Engine Oil Pressure

Conditions Which Generate This Code:

The Electronic Control Module (ECM) detects a problem with the engine's oil pressure. Information on default settings and ranges for this event can be found in Troubleshooting, "Event Codes".

System Response:

The event code will be logged.

E360-(2) (Derate)

• The engine power will be derated.

E360-(3) (Shutdown)

• The engine will be shutdown.

Note: Certain applications will only derate the engine power.

There may be a problem with the engine's lubrication system.

Test Step 1. Check the Engine's Lubrication System

1. Check the engine oil level. If the oil level is below the oil pump's supply tube, the oil pump will not have the ability to supply enough lubrication to the engine components. If the engine oil level is low, add engine oil in order to obtain the correct engine oil level.

1. Check the following problems that may occur to the engine oil pump:

1. Air leakage in the supply side of the oil pump will also cause cavitation and loss of oil pressure. Check the supply side of the oil pump and make necessary repairs.

1. Oil pump gears that have too much wear will cause a reduction in oil pressure. Repair the engine oil pump.

1. If the engine is equipped with a scavenge pump, the scavenge pump may not be supplying oil to the main engine oil pump.

1. The inlet screen of the oil suction tube for the engine oil pump can have a restriction. This restriction will cause cavitation and a loss of engine oil pressure. Check the inlet screen on the oil pickup tube and remove any material that may be restricting engine oil flow. Low engine oil pressure may also be the result of the oil pickup tube that is drawing in air. Check the joints of the oil pickup tube for cracks or a damaged O-ring seal.

1. If the engine oil bypass valves are held in the open position, a reduction in the oil pressure can be the result. This may be due to debris in the engine oil. If the engine oil bypass valves are stuck in the open position, remove each engine oil bypass valve and clean each bypass valve in order to correct this problem. You must also clean each bypass valve bore.

1. Engine oil that is contaminated with fuel or coolant will cause low engine oil pressure. High engine oil level in the crankcase can be an indication of contamination.

1. Excessive clearance at engine bearings will cause low engine oil pressure. Check the engine components for excessive bearing clearance.

1. An oil line that is open, broken, or disconnected will cause low engine oil pressure.

Expected Result:

An inspection of the engine's lubrication system indicated a problem.

Results:

• OK - There is a problem in the engine's lubrication system.

Repair: Repair the problem. Ensure that the repair eliminates the problem.

STOP

catmastertech
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician