Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

What is the best way to remove the engine radiator from

Customer Question
D5GXL ser#ofdh00780 for cleaning; step...
What is the best way to remove the engine radiator from D5GXL ser#ofdh00780 for cleaning; step by step? In 105 degrees it get over into red. Have washed fins with water hose as best possible. Thermostat is few months old. Jim
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/9/2015
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 7 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

A pressure washer is the only way to clean these radiators. A water hose will only make dirt stick worse.

If you have a good air compressor, that is the best way. Keeping it blown out will prevent the material buildup and then when it does rain, less will tend to stick to the fins.

I have attached a file to show you how to remove the radiator, you will nee to lift the assembly off to access the radiator. It weighs about 410 pounds. Once you have it off, lay it on its face an the radiator and oil cooler will come out the back.

Haven't looked at the attached file, but since you mentioned the oil cooler, the transmission oil temp remains in the normal, while the engine water temp runs hot, can you explain that. This radiator was really clogged and washing it did help on the temp but did not cure it completely, so I presumed it needed to be removed and taken to a radiator shop and "rodded" and flushed out. I await you reply. JimJust printed out your file and it looks to be very helpful. I haven't studied it thoroughly but I presume it will be necessary to cap off the oil lines very quickly to prevent drainage, is this not the case? Jim

Look at the condition of the inside of the radiator. If you see any buildup of material around flues or collect in the tanks, then have it serviced. Debris can collect between the oil cooler and radiator, I see this often if you have a leak around the cooler and the oil causes lots of dirt to stick between them.

I also find fan belts and pulleys worn out. If a new belt does not fit properly in the pulley groove (falls below the surface of the groove), replace all pulleys.

Loose belts or ones that have glazed over will slip and keeps fan speeds low. Often this will cause the charging system to not keep the battery charged and you may hear the belt slip at startup from the load the alternator add to the belt.

Yes, oil will leak out of the lines from the hydraulic tank. It is always suggested you drain the oil and refill with new. It will be difficult to stop the oil leaking from the line and install a cap without making a big mess. A vacuum can be placed on the tank to help hold the oil back but, this will still allow oil to leak if you do not cap the lines off quickly.

CAT always recommends you never leave a line open as it is very easy for dirt and debris get into the open ends.

You did not address the reason for the oil/transmission to not indicate out of range on temp. Why is it possible for the transmission to remain in normal range with the engine temp in the red? I presume the cooler for the transmission and engine are in separate compartments, yet they come out together as a unit? Have recently replaced the belts and thermostat and the pulley grooves looked just fine. Jim

In my experience, I have not seen many of these tractors heat the oil that high unless it is working under extreme loads.

The fan is able to keep the oil cooler cooling but the engine heat is greater and/or the plugged radiator cannot release the heat.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician