Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 2009 297c cat Skidsteer serial number gcp01238 I…

I have a 2009 297c...
I have a 2009 297c cat Skidsteer serial number gcp01238 I have three questions
1. Can I add the messenger panel
2. When I move the joystick to drive the tracks start off at normal speed then after a couple of seconds slows down to a crawl
3. The low oil pressure light is on changed the oil pressure sending unit and changed the oil
One note I should also add is that it overheated
8/28/2015
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 7 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

The monitor is available as a field install kit. However, it must be configured by the dealer so the machine ECM can report to it.

It will also add the creeper switch and creeper speed with the monitor.

Certain faults with the electronic system will cause the machine to come to a stop and when the engine condition light is on, this will stop the machine. This light is multi purpose for the engine coolant and oil pressure. It will also glow yellow when the air filter is plugged.

Since you know the engine was overheating, this is likely the cause of the alert light coming on and the derate of speed.

Adding the monitor will provide you with a way to see the fault codes without the need of the ET service tool. It has been the item I check first when I make repairs. You will also have other special features available with the monitor.

I have not added one so, I cannot tell you how much it cost. Often kits are sold through the sales department instead of parts. Sometimes buying the kit will be cheaper than the individual parts.

Do I have to take my machine to the dealer in order for it to be programmed or can they send out a field tech or program it before they send itThank you

It can be done in the field. Just remember, most dealers will charge extra for service trucks to come out.

Call your dealer and ask them to estimate the travel and mileage charges to make the service call. It may be cheaper for you to find some one to haul the unit in for you.

If the issue with the warning light becomes a serious repair, the truck fees will add up quickly. Most dealers recommend the machine be hauled to their shop as the field technicians are very busy.

Ok thank you I am also doing a complete rebuild on the undercarriage and some of the bogie axles are shot it has dual level suspension is there a way to repair The axles or a cheaper place to buy them from without braking the bank at 433$ Each
Thank you

I have not seen anyone else that sell the CAT parts other than the drive belts.

Besides, several updates have been made and you may benefit if these improvements are for your serial number.

Here is a short list,

Improved Idler Axle Group for Certain C Series Multi Terrain Loader Machines

The Idler Axle Gp Has Been Improved

The Axles for the Undercarriage Have Been Improved

These are mainly the front and rear wheel axles and the suspension frame support axles.

Ok the driver alert is also on and flashing no noise though. The speed sensor harnesses are cut that go to the planetary could that cause the machine to crawl.
What should I look for that might cause the low oil pressure.Thank you

The speed sensor wire damage is very often the problem that stops the machine. I have seen many of the harness damaged from running of trees and them tearing out the wires.

Did you check the oil pressure with a gauge first? Could your oil pressure be correct and a harness or connector be the issue?

Could it be the coolant sensor or wiring that is causing the fault?

Both sensors report to the ECM and ET would tell which are working or not.

The oil pressure switch can be jumpered to see if the light will go out and I think the coolant is a switch too that could be jumpered to see if the light will change.

This will not help if the harness is damaged though. You would need to test the circuit for continuity to find that issue.

How do you jump the sensors

Unplug the sensor and insert a wire or paperclip into the harness connector. Disconnected (open circuit), the alert may turn on or off (switches vary) and jumpered (short circuit) should cause the opposite action of the alert.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
I really appreciate your help just so you know I'm only 16 years old homeschooling bought this skid steer as my third heavy equipment project my first was a 1952 cat d2 5u and my second a Deere 410e backhoe

Glad I could help. This electronic machine will definitely keep you busy. If you like this work, you should talk to the dealer in your area about their apprentice schools. Many CAT dealers are sponsoring local collage's equipment technician programs and will employ you while you go to their school.

I am sure you have seen Mike Rowe on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-d6iD81QB8

Hi i just installed the control module and the active diagnostic code is 2687-8 if you could let me know what this means that would be great
thank you

That is the right speed sensor. Attached below is a troubleshooting guide for that fault code.

thank you do you have the schematic for the underside of the cab or a schematic that shows where the ecm is located

C models locate the ECM on the back side of the cab. It must be raised to access it.

I fixed all of the fault codes. The engine condition light has gone out but the tractor still only creeps along. The loader seems to still have full hydraulic power. Any advice is appreciated

Did you have the monitor configured for the machine?

Did you install the creeper control switch? Has it been turned on?

If not codes are shown (logged or events) the pumps or engine should not derate. Have you seen any derate issues on this machine?

Is it possible the unit needs the pumps calibrated? Some parts need calibration to return the machine to full speed.

I haven't seen any that caused the machine to crawl though.

I have not installed the creeper switch is it possible for it to have been engaged without it being installed. Is the a way to check if the pumps are calibrated or can only cat do that.

I would assume the creeper indicator would be on. It is a "Snail" icon in the display window. I don't know if it could default to installed or on with out the switch installed but, anything is possible. The switch should be with the monitor install kit.

The calibrations are done with CAT ET software. The monitor and view the outputs of the control handle and the inputs of the speed sensors but, that is all it can do that would be related to this issue.

Here are some issues related to this problem.

Problem 6

The machine has low performance. The machine has weak force.

Probable Cause

• High idle is not set to the correct specifications.

• Engine power is low.

• A hydrostatic electrohydraulic operated control is not functioning correctly. Check the pump solenoid calibration, the joystick calibration, and the throttle calibration.

• The viscosity of the hydraulic oil is incorrect.

• The brakes are not fully disengaged.

• The crossover relief valves are not set to the correct specifications.

• The piston motors may be worn or the pumps may be worn.

• The charge pressure is low.

• The underspeed system may be engaging. The throttle pedal may not be calibrated correctly.

• The underspeed system may be engaging. The engine speed sensor may be bad.
What is the underspeed system and how does it relate to the foot throttle? Do you have a diagram?

It used to be a hydraulic flow control valve but, now it is electronically control by the ECM. That is why the throttle input (not just foot pedal) setting and engine speed reading is important.

"Underspeed Control"

The underspeed control feature prevents the engine from lugging below a determined speed during high load applications in order to optimize machine performance and prevent engine stall.

I think that is probably my problem. I believe my engine speed sensor is working properly compared to the read out on the monitor. But how do I check the throttle pedal calibration. By the way I am only able to use the hand throttle due to some linkage missing on the pedal

Great catch! It is difficult to find a problem when the machine does not show a fault.

The monitor manual says you can see the throttle switch at mode 6 sub mode 1. I am not sure how it will read but, maybe it will show you if it is moving or not.

The sensor is part is the pedal group. See attachment.