Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a d5m dozer I had a rat chew a wire below the arm…

Customer Question
I have a d5m dozer...
I have a d5m dozer I had a rat chew a wire below the arm rest and it would not go into gear. I found that wire and after I repaired it the dozer would drive and steer but when you throttle it up some it shifts hard into forward and reverse. I was told it was a valve on the front of transmission below the steering valves but the wiring to that valve looks good at the valve but I can 't tell where they go
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
8/23/2015
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 7 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hello, the best way to find electrical issues with this machine is to use the monitor to view the fault codes.

See the attached file to see how you can view them.

Please record the complete codes in the order they scroll and note if the words SERV CODE is shown with each code.

Please post the full machine serial number with your reply.

I will not be able to get this information to you until tomorrow afternoon. How do I get in contact with you then?

Just post back on this same question and I will be notified. I will be back online tomorrow night and will be glad to help you then.

The serial number of D5M is 3CR 1840. The code that came on the dash is 030 0096.03

If that is the only code you have, the transmission is not reporting any faults.

This could be due to the power wires or grounds to the transmission ECM are damaged or the fuse is blown.

That code is for the fuel gage and is only logged for a temporary short. This happens if the fuel gauge bottoms out and the reading becomes very low.

also how do you clear codes off. where is the fuse you would check for that. The lights on the dash with the track symbol and the exclamation point beside it are flashing

Go back and look at fuse panel and check the wires to the transmission ecm.

Check for battery power to pins #1,#6 and #40 of the J1 connector and for good grounds at pins #2 and #5.

The fuse panel is in the left fender. You should be getting way more codes if the lights are flashing.

You may need to try the information in this attachment to help you find the issue. It will show you how to jumper the test plug and clear logged codes. (Note; you cannot clear active codes and clearing logged codes does not "FIX" anything. The problem will return if it a repair is not made.)

If you cannot get the jumpers to work, purchase the 4C-8195 tool from your dealer. It is easy to use and not very expensive.

A mechanic told me that there is a valve down by where driveline goes threw the center of the dozer if its not working it will shift harshly . so it must not be getting power to it but I can't find the problem

Yes, that is the priority valve. If the harness is damaged to it, you should have fault codes.

You cannot control this valve manually, the electronic control module controls the current to the solenoid.

No current is sent to the priority valve under specific operating conditions in order to maintain adequate pressure to the steering and brake controls and the transmission controls.

If no current is applied the priority valve operates in the priority mode. The priority valve is at high pressure in this mode.

No current is applied to the priority valve during the following conditions:

Engine speed that is less than 1300 RPM
Power train oil temperature less than 40°C (104°F)
Changes in transmission speed or directional changes

is this the valve you think is causing the harsh shift into gear in either forward or reverse

It can cause harsh shifting but, pressure testing and calibrations should be done before throwing money at it. Speed sensors can also cause this as well as sticking solenoids, bad temperature sensor, dragging brakes or low pump pressure.

The 4C-8195 tool is used to set the transmission calibration procedures.

I found more codes today they are 030 248.02 819.02 821.04 113 168.04 177.03 254.13 368.02 650.02 697.05

Here are the definitions of the codes you have found.

Diagnostic Codes For the Caterpillar Monitoring System (MID No. 030)
CID 0248 - Data Link: FMI 02 Data erratic, intermittent, or incorrect
CID 0819 - Display Data Link:FMI 02 Data erratic, intermittent, or incorrect
CID 0821 - Display Power Supply:FMI 04 Voltage below normal or short to ground

Diagnostic Codes for the Power Train ECM (MID No. 113)
CID 0168 - Electrical System:FMI 04 Voltage below normal or shorted low.
CID 0177 - Transmission Oil Temperature Sensor:FMI 03 Voltage above normal or shorted high.
CID 0254 - Electronic Control Module (ECM):FMI 13 Out of calibration.
CID 0368 - Autoshift Switch:FMI 02 Data erratic, intermittent, or incorrect.
CID 0650 - Harness Code:FMI 02 Data erratic, intermittent, or incorrect.
CID 0697 - Priority Solenoid Valve:FMI 05 Current below normal or open circuit.

You did not state which codes were active. If none had the words SERV CODE displayed when the code was shown, then none were active. You may need to operate the machine to get the codes to show active, Some older ECMs would loose the active code status when the key switch is turned off. Seeing the active code will help narrow this list down.

If you cannot get an active code, try clearing these codes and see which code returns.

The main concern I see with these codes is it looks like the transmission ecm is loosing power and the wire to the priority valve is still broken. Also the transmission temperature sensor has a short in either the sensor or the wiring.

The FMI 02 Data erratic, intermittent, or incorrect, means it is likely a temporary issue. Don't worry about these unless they are active.

The FMI 13 Out of calibration code will require the 4C-8195 tool or the dealer laptop to perform the calibrations.

The only code on the monitor to check is for the power supply, if this is not an active code, it may have been from the damage.

Please tell me which codes are active and I can provide more details about how to fix the problem.