catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  Field service technician for CAT 19 years.
11546476

I have a D5 serial number WGB 1855 and the track adjuster

Customer Question

I have a D5 serial number WGB 1855 and the track adjuster keeps going out. Fixed it probably 10 times. Low hours, is there a flaw in the design? Is there any recalls?
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 2 years ago.

In 2008 a change was made to protect the sealing of the adjuster. Production update began at S/N WGB3762-UP

Description of Change: An improved guard assembly is now used. The(###) ###-####Guard As is part of(###) ###-####Front Idler Gp. The material of the(###) ###-####Guard As has changed to a compound that has greater strength. The improved guard assembly has a stronger plate. The improved guard assembly will enhance the sealing of the idler adjuster.

However, this guard is for the fill valve. Not the actual adjuster tube or seals.

If you have not replaced the fill valve, I would recommend this first. They do fail often and may not be easy to see the grease seep out.

If you are not finding grease coming from the valve, inspect the chrome of the yoke to see how pitted it is. If the sealing area is corroded, you may need to replace the yoke assembly or have it re-chromed.

You already have the stronger recoil spring that was added at S/N WGB00550-UP.

The machines that work in the beach areas near me do have more repairs than others. This is always due to the corrosion from the high salt exposure.

The few that use the SYSTEM-ONE tracks have fewer issues since, they don't have the need to regularly adjust the tracks.

I don't see any other undercarriage updates for this machine.

If I can help you further, please feel free to ask. I will be glad to help.