Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and Road Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Construction and Road Equipment

Cat 325c clu no tail swing pump fail at 9000 hrs

Customer Question
cat 325c clu no tail swing pump fail at 9000 hrs
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
8/15/2015
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 2 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

You do not need to remove the counterweight to remove the pump. If the swing is the only function not working, your pump is not the problem. The pump is available as a REMAN unit but, if only one side has failed the dealer could rebuild it cheaper. They would need to inspect it completely to determine the amount of damage though.

Have you found metal in ALL filters?

Magnets will not pick up brass that is more common from a failed pump. The best way to clean the tank is to remove it and use a hot water pressure washer with a good degreaser.

If you would like more help with this, please post the full machine serial number with your reply.

BK W00437 CAT 325C CLU NO TAIL SWING
MAIN HYDRAULIC PUMP AT 8800 HOURS

Thanks for the serial number.

Can you tell me what I can do to help you with this?

the fillters will pull the brass out after changeing main hydraulic oil right

Filters are on the return side of the systems. They do not filter the suction side of the tank, they only filter what goes back to the tank. That is why the tank must be completely cleaned first. The tank only has a fine mess screen to prevent large debris going into the pump suction line. It does not filter out dirt or fine metals.

some mechanic saying im wasteing time they say machine is a big paper weight but i want to fix it
it been a good machine just had hydralic tune up less then three hundred hours ago and oil was tested in real good shape
how would you go about it

The C model is not that old and I think you have a mechanical engine so, that makes it worth keeping. (NO EMISSIONS!)

The REMAN pump will cost the most, I think it is near $14,000. If the rest of the machine is good, why not keep it.

The monitor is the only electronic issue The C model ever had. The only other issue could be a wiring harness to keep it up in running order.

they say you can never get the system to clean itself up again brass and steel is in the whole machine

OH, I see this is a LCR (close radius) machine. My information is not complete but, it should still come out like the standard 325C

Are you sure the metal is in the cylinders and through the whole system? Are you having operation issues with the controls?

shut machine down right away no trouble yet
pump are about 12,000 to 14,000 thousand dollars found a use one two year ago rebuilt by a cat dealer for 9000.00 dollars what elce should i do clean out hydraulic tank put clean oil new fillters and then what

I would pull the cylinders down for inspection. If you find lost of metal, then the motors will definitely need rebuilding.

Did the pump loose pressure or did you find metal in the case drain filter first?

found metals in case drains lot of brass some people say it not worth it i think new pump and clean out the tank and gamble it

I have seen a few people get lucky when they catch an early failure. Then yes, the filters can help clean the system. Use the Ultra High Efficiency versions and change the regularly while checking them closely for metal.

I am guessing you have verified the metal is not from a motor? (Swing or travel)

clean what ever lines i can get off and clean then first change hydraulic fitters every day for a week

The one bad rebuild was a major travel motor failure and the whole machine was ruining. They spent $100,000 and it still had problems but, the machine already had 15,000 hours on it.

OOPS "ruined"

Cleaning the lines will help but, the cylinders can hold a lot of metal.

If you notice the controls acting strange, that is a bad sign the whole systems is contaminated.

here all kind of stuff people say i throwing money away but i think i can bring it back to life again

Even if you spent $50,000, you won't likely find a machine in good shape for that amount of money.

If it does act strange, you could still get good money for the components.

I believe many parts fit straight to other machines. It is not as much a "Custom Product" as it may seem with the LCR badge.

what have you heard about what im trying to do 50/50 maybe

Yea, I have done two older machines and had good luck. One had a serious pump failure and the other one just lost pressure. The later did not send out much metal so, I was never concerned about it.

The one I recommended not repairing already had the boom ripped out of it twice. The customer did not need much convincing to scrap it though.

That one that went bad, was just too old and had a rough life. NO one want to keep working on it and know it would be trouble. It does still run but, it lives in an old sand pit as a backup for the backup machine, if you know what I mean!

i know what you mean but this one is a demo machine with extra hydraulic on it for lot of diffence attchments such as concrete cutters plus plus plus
very special machine we have four more 325c but this is a very special machine two pump flow plus
i want to fix it tell me yes tell me what elce i can do beside what i said

I see why you do not want to loose this machine! If you boom mounts are not cracking or undercarriage frame cracking, you would be better keeping it.

The one that I mentioned that was scrapped had an oversized shear and was heavily abused.

Cleaning the tank is a must. Checking the cylinders would be on the top of my list too. Changing the filters as you planned will work great for monitoring but, include oil sampling with that to verify you are cleaning the oil.

If you suspect any damage to any of the motors, have them inspected and resealed.

Going through all the valves and small lines will be the time killer if you went "All the way" with the cleanup but, at least follow the supply lines and check for metal in the fittings at the inlets of some of the valves.

Old machines had screens in the pilot valves but, most were removed as it caused more problems than it fixed.

thanks i will remove hydraulic line to the main cylinder maybe used big air compresser to blow the main cylinder out yes/ no

I would remove the cylinders, disassemble and thoroughly inspect them. The metal gets in all the grooves of the piston and will cause the tubes to wear and scar if it is severe. This could return contamination back into the system.

Most will be caught at the filter but, some can get into the main control valve and then the real aggravating problems will begin.

Got to step away for a few minutes. I will be right back if you need more.

would you run the machine for a few hours first before removeing the cylinders or taking them of first

If the large tank return filter has metal in it, that would lead me to disassemble as much as possible.

Remember, the tank filter is on the return side. Only the pilot filter is not, it is direct from the pilot pump.

Case drain filter is the cooling flow from the motors and the pump so, it could be misleading as either travel, swing or the pump could be the source of metal

You mentioned this has two pump flow, this is a common feature and the new E models have several custom controls without the need to purchase extra packages for special options.

If money is good, move up to 35 ton. https://youtu.be/59iNJIJJvVA

catmastertech
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician