Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a D6M Cat Dozer SN 30061, Engine Coolant and

Hydraulic temp gauges are all...
I have a D6M Cat Dozer SN 30061, Engine Coolant and Hydraulic temp gauges are all the way to the right, afetr I start the engine. It goes though its self check just fine then stays to the right. All othe lights and gauges work properly. Also it is setting of the Alert/Lamp flashing. Already changed control pannel, and have disconected Coolant sending unit with no difference in the gauge. Any help please!!!! A Mechanic on a Army post could use your help!
8/11/2015
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 7 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

I am sorry no one could help you earlier. I will be glad to assist you if you still need help.

Please check the serial number again, it should have one of the prefixes shown below.

TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR

ModelPrefix

D6M TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR2RN

D6M TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR2YS

D6M TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR3WN

D6M TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR4GS

D6M TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR4HS

D6M TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR4JN

D6M TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR5NR

D6M TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR5WR

D6M TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR6LR

D6M TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR9ZM

TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR
Model Prefix
D6M TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR 2RN
D6M TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR 2YS
D6M TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR 3WN
D6M TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR 4GS
D6M TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR 4HS
D6M TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR 4JN
D6M TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR 5NR
D6M TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR 5WR
D6M TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR 6LR
D6M TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR 9ZM

Sorry for the bad formating the second list is better to read. The prefix will have five numbers after it, that is the number I need to find the correct information.

The coolant sensor is a bit more complicated than most. However the hydraulic is a single wire feed. Have you tried checking the sender wire or grounding the wire?

Do you have any of the manuals with this machine?

Does it have any damage to the harnesses?

Ok, 4JN02771I have some manuals and their is no damage to the wiring harness. I have wiring Diagram also.

Thanks for the serial number, that confirms for me this is not a modified custom dozer with some special MIL SPEC.

The Monitor manual will cover how to check the display and the hydraulic gauge will likely be a broken wire or sender.

The sender is in the side of the tank and can be difficult to access. An easier test is to remove the connector at the monitor and measure the resistance on the wire for the hydraulic sender.

This will be at the #10 terminal and should be a grey wire marked 442.

The following data should be the correct approximate resistance:

54.4°C (130.0°F) at 850 to 1050 Ω

110°C (230.0°F) at 140 to 160 Ω

These values are not exact, but the values should be used as guidelines for troubleshooting.

If you're reading is very low, (0 to 5 ohms) the wire is shorted to ground. (This normally pegs the gauge to the hot side)

If you're reading is very high, (over 5000 ohms to OL) you wire or sender is broken. (Open circuit normally pegs the gauge to the cold side.)

The grey wire (442) will leave the dash and pass through connector #19, pin #12 in the firewall then travel to connector #1, pin #2 on the right side of the machine. This connector contains the wires for the rear of the machine as well.

Now for the coolant temperature, it is better to watch you fault codes to see what is happening when you test the circuit. Disconnecting the sensor should set a code for open circuit and shorting the signal wire to ground will set a different code. Then you can short the signal to the power wire and get a third code, this will completely test the harness and monitor very quickly and you will know you only have a failed sensor. If you do not get the fault codes to change status, it is more likely to have a harness problem.

The check the harness, start at the sensor connector and check for 8 volt power from the monitor to the A pin with the blue wire (K997). Check for ground on the B pin black wire (201).

Then test the C pin by using the fault codes as described before by placing a jumper in the C pin and connecting to ground B pin and power A pin. If your fault code does not change, test the harness by tracing the orange (441) wire back to the dash.

If you do not have ET or the 4C8195 Control box (three switch tester box) you can still use the self test button to view the fault codes.

Once you have the gauges fixed, the alert indicator will turn off. (It is programmed to turn on when in gauge is in the RED and the Action Alarm should be sounding as well.

If you need more help with this, please let me know. I will be glad to help as much as I can.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Here are the codes I have:(###) ###-####08 Coolant sensor voltage
0263.04 Guessing Hydraulic sensor
0819.02 Data erratic or something like that, sensor power suppy(###) ###-####04 Battery voltage low
I have tryed to clear theses codes with jumper wires, most be doing something worn because they will not clear. I know that the Battery state of charge is good now as i charged them up. but still cant seem to clear that code out.Also curious of the 0819.02 code, sensor power supply?
Going to Order the coolant sensor as it is vey easy to replace, but still concerned about sensor power supply!
Thanks

Yes, the first code is for sensor voltage and this means the 8 volt power supply from the monitor to the sensor has a fault.
The recommended repair is to follow the Sensor Signal voltage troubleshooting in the monitor service manual.
The trick here is to measure voltages with the connector still connected to the sensor.
The goal is to see what the Monitor is seeing.
You should verify the voltage at the sensor is between 7.5 volts and 8.5 volts. (A terminal BLUE wire K997 to B terminal BLACK wire 201)
Repeat the same procedure at the monitor connector by probing in the back of the monitor with it still connected.
This will determine if your harness is bad. Perform the same steps to test the signal wire (Orange 441) at the sensor and the monitor.

The 263.04 code is seeing the voltage from the sensor is too low. This only applies to the PWM sensors (Pulse Width Modulated) like the coolant sensor.
The monitor only has one of these sesnors on the D6M tractor so, it is related to the coolant sensor issue.
Follow the troubelshooting steps for the 030 263-04 fault code.

The 819.02 diagnostic code is recorded when the main display module does not receive expected information.
I see this often when one of the other ECMs does not have power or fails to initialize before the monitor and flags this code.
I am assuming this is on the monitor and was preceeded by the 030 MID (module identifier). If this code is not ACTIVE, do not worry about it.
(ACTIVE codes will show the words SERV CODE when the fault code is displayed on the monitor.)

If this code is ACTIVE, check the transmission ECM for power. If it has power, then folow the guide for the 819 code.
Since you have the 113 168.04 code shown, I can assume the code is just a logged code and the transmission ECM is powered.

You should have (or get) the 4C-8195 control box to make the troubleshooting much easier. The M series can be repaired without any problems with just this tool.
A laptop with CAT ET is only needed to flash program the ECMs. The tool is around $100 and well worth it.
Your manual has the diagram to fabricate a tool from switches if those resources are more available to you.

You will not be able to clear any codes that are active. This ECM is not like automotive PCMs. Once the issue is fixed, the code is only logged and logged codes can be cleared.

You may get lucky with the new sensor and find it was the cause of the loss of sensor power. I have seen this happen before but, more often it is a harness problem.

The issue with the hydraulic oil temperature gauge will be a separate problem. Reference the Troubleshooting guide for Temperature Sender to help with that problem. Also follow the Alert Indicator Is Always Flashing troubleshooting guide.

If you need more help with this, please feel free to ask. I will be glad to help you all I can. You are not limited to any number of posts. I only ask you keep this question related to the same issue.