Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Sullair 185 w/ ford/Mazda 4cyl gas engine. Compressor always…

Sullair 185 w/ ford/Mazda 4cyl...
Sullair 185 w/ ford/Mazda 4cyl gas engine. Compressor always has been cold natured. Had to be completely warmed up before choke could be shut off. Open air line valve and engine would die without choke on at least half way. Working fine a month ago. Now,
Engine tries to start and gets up to idle speed but compressor is loading engine and it cannot get up to operating speed. If compressor could be disconnected from engine, it would get up to operating speed. Have replaced fuel pump, and plug wires. Spark plug
had some surface carbon but not really gunked up. took air intake elbow off of compressor and tried to cut off air intake to allow engine to start, but it nearly sucked my hand into the pipe. In the past distributor,ignition control box, and coil have been
replaced. Have worked on engines gas, propane and diesel for 50 years and this one has me beat......
Serial numbers are below. This compressor has never had a warm up valve and there appears to be no place one was on the panel board.Model 185 GPO 2W FO
B.O.M. 00-75399-DHE
Serial 008219-001
8/12/2015
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Ford 2300, OHC engine? Have you checked the timing belt? If belt slips one notch, it throws timing off enough that engine looses all power. It will run, but not with power! If timing checks out, run compression test.
I wondered about the timing belt. This compressor will sit for a month or 3 then get used for many times as much as an hour at a time... It is used to blow off hay balers, hay swathers, mowers, real dirty work. Have not sandblasted in many years... I questioned a Ford friend of mine about maybe the timing belt stuck to the toothed pulley while it sat and when I started it it came off and would be out of time.. I assume the easiest way would be to check the timing at the distributor. Trying to get to the timing pulleys to view them is at least a 4 hour job....
To check the timing, you would line up the crankshaft timing mark to mark on the front cover. Should be marked TDC. Then look at the camshaft gear at the front cover, it will have mark on gear that should point straight up. If not, the timing is off. I think you can see the top mark by removing the rocker cover.
I think you can see the top mark by removing the rocker cover. " The rocker/camshaft cover, or the timing belt cover?? If I remove the rocker/camshaft cover, the mark would have to be on the flywheel side of the pulley.. Trying to be sure...Just a note... I am 62 yrs old with a spinal problem and a leg brace. Getting into spaces is really a pain. I grew up working on tractors trucks, combines and anything that came through the gate and never thought anything about it.... Now it takes forever just to get into position.....

I went I looked again. It is the timing cover that has to be removed! Not easy to get the cover off! Been too long since I owned my Ford with the 2300 engine. Here is a Utube video showing the replacement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nqGd8wpBOw

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician