Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a problem with a cat 315L excavator. when the drag arm…

i have a problem with...
i have a problem with a cat 315L excavator. when the drag arm is used it drags the motor down. Like it is fighting to work both ways. i think it is the cylinder or the valve. it works fine on every other circuit. it ran fine when parked 2 years ago but the cat dealer changed the cylinder and it was never ran to test after that. should i swap cylinders first and try that. or do you think it is in the valve. dealer could not fix problem. thank you Mike Elliott text me at***@******.***
7/21/2015
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi Mike, My name is***** was field service for Cat years ago. There was a problem with the piston retaining nuts coming loose and the cylinders coming apart internally on some models which then would stuff the control valve port on that function full of metal damaging the port and spool in the main control valve for that function. Test the cylinder to see if it is bypassing pressure and also check the in tank return filter for signs of fine metal indicating a component failure. Also disconnect the lines for the arm circuit at the control valve port and look for metal at the port which is a sure sign this is your problem. You will also want to remove the relief for that circuit and inspect it for debris and damaged o rings or other problems with the relief. Let me know
Dan, Technician