Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a cat 287 skid steer the left drive motor barely turns…

i have a cat 287...
i have a cat 287 skid steer the left drive motor barely turns only when it is rev wide open I bought new drive motor but that didn't help I then switched the drive motors still same thing left side wont turn unless wide open and all other hydraulics works perfect such as the bucket, and aux hydraulics as well as right side drive motor can u help thx Larry
7/12/2015
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 7 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
The pumps for this machine are as follows, right travel pump, left travel pump, implement pump and fan pump.Since the only issue you have is with the left travel, it is likely the failure is in the left pump and not the travel motor. The travel systems are "closed loop" circuits. Any failure in a motor can also send debris into the pump and damage it. If the system is not cleaned of debris, it can also cross-contaminate the other travel system and even the other pumps.I have seen this happen before and it usually began with a failed hose and not cleaning the hydraulics or running it out of oil.
How can I fix this and can I buy just the left travel pump also could this problem be electrical(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
287 and 287B models do not have electronic controls for travel. So no, this problem is not electrical. You could have an issue with the pilot pressure from the joystick but, this requires detailed testing to verify all pilot pressures are correct. You may find parts available to fix the pump but, the travel pumps are one unit with the implement and fan pumps attached to the end. The main concern it more related to rest of the system. Is it clean, is metal or other debris in the motors or would metal be in the tank? These are items the dealer must address to offer any warranty, even if they just sell parts. If the hydraulic system is not inspected and cleaned, no warranty of any kind will be offered. This is not to say all failures are catastrophic but, most will leave some debris in the system and this can greatly reduce the life of any new component installed. If you have a hydraulic shop available, I would recommend removing the pumps and have them inspected. Also remove both travel motors and inspect them. Remove the hydraulic tank for cleaning and disassemble hydraulic cylinders for cleaning. All lines should be flushed and if metal is found in these components, the valves should be removed and disassembled for cleaning. If metal did not get out into the system or your tank is clean, then you will only need to reseal the pumps and motors and repair any damage found. Be sure to clean the travel lines and keep them capped and clean when reassembling the systems. Always clean the machine and keep fittings and hoses capped when working with the hydraulic systems. If you need more information please let me know. I will be glad to help as much as I can.
Does this machine have tin helmeted switch and could that play a part
I do not know what you mean? I know of no switch that will make one travel function different from the other side. It is an all or nothing control from the parking brake solenoid. If the brake is stuck in that side, it will never move. I have not seen one move then lock, then unlock.A final drive failure could lock and then unlock but, I am sure you would have figured that problem out easily.
Someone had told me it has tincheometer switches that work on milla amps I've never heard of this if this is true could this be the problem
The 287 and 287B are pilot hydraulic controlled, not electronic or "drive by wire".The 287C and newer do have Potentiometers in the total electronic joysticks. If these fail, they will stop the machine completely. Below is how the pilot hydraulics control the travel pumps (hydrostatic).Oil that comes from the speed sensing valve flows to the pilot operated hydraulic control ( hydrostatic). When the interlock system is disengaged, signal oil will not flow through the pilot operated hydraulic control until the hydraulic control is moved out of the HOLD position. The hydraulic control will return to the HOLD position when the hydraulic control is released from any of the positions. Table 1 shows the direction of machine travel when the signal ports are pressurized by the pilot operated hydraulic control ( hydrostatic).Table 1Ports that are Pressurized Direction of Machine Travel Port (X3) on Rotating group 1 and Port (X3) on Rotating group 2 REVERSE Port (X3) on Rotating group 1 and Port (X4) on Rotating group 2 LEFT TURN Port (X4) on Rotating group 1 and Port (X3) on Rotating group 2 RIGHT TURN Port (X4) on Rotating group 1 and Port (X4) on Rotating group 2 FORWARD When the hydraulic control is moved to the FORWARD position, signal oil flows from the speed sensing valve through the solenoid valve ( hydrostatic). Then, the oil flows through the plunger in the hydraulic control that is for the FORWARD position. Oil then flows into the resolver network. When the balls in the resolver network are unseated, the resolver network routes the signal oil to the two rotating groups in the piston pump. In the following example, the signal oil is routed to the ports (X4) that are on the piston pump. The signal oil flows into the ports (X4) and the signal oil shifts the actuator pistons. This causes the swashplates to move and oil flows out of the ports on the piston pump. This will propel the machine forward.When the operator releases the hydraulic control, the hydraulic control returns to the HOLD position. This causes the flow of pilot oil to stop. The actuator pistons will return to the center position and the swashplates will move back to the minimum displacement position. No oil will flow out of the piston pump. This causes the machine to stop.
Can u tell me what the hydraulic oil pressures is supposed to be
I cannot give you the correct pressures without the full machine serial number.Please post the number here and I will be glad to research the information for you.
Catoo287tcnyoo671
Here is the troubleshooting worksheet needed to help determine the failure.Click the line below to view sheet.
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician