Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have an old 938 g and all the sudden my bucket control will…

I have an old 938...
I have an old 938 g and all the sudden my bucket control will not float and when I raise or lower the bucket more than a tiny bit, the bucket goes into auto raise or lower and I have to jerk the joy stick like you would have to do to take it out of float. Any ideas ?
7/7/2015
Mechanic: Pete, Electronic Engineer replied 7 years ago
Pete, Electronic Engineer
Hi there, The contacts inside the joystick may be worn or need cleaning.The joystick will need to be disassembled and the electronic contacts can then be examined and cleaned or replaced as required.
I will need a cat mechanic to answer this. A 938g does not have an electronic joy stick, the joy stick is basically a 4 way hydraulic valve and I have cleaned and oiled where the plate pushes the valves
Ok, let me see if the other experts have any further input.
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 7 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Hello, Can you switch the "Auto-Kickout" off? Does it still latch the handle when you do? (Lift the red lever in the floor if you do not have a rocker switch.)Have you tried disconnecting the lift linkage position sensor? Do you see any light on it?
I will try tomorrow, I don't know if it has a rocker switch, there are no labels on any switches. I know 1 is a starting aid, but I don't know about the other 3, but I have tried all of them in every position, with no success. Is it possible that one is the switch I need and I have a blown fuse. I hadn't thought of tags till now
No, a blown fuse should prevent power to these coils. You likely have a stuck sensor or someone has switched some plugs the wrong way. If you get me the full machine serial number I can find the original layout for the switch panel and may be able to see how this was originally ordered.
4ys1353
Thank you
Here is all the switches for a 938G. (yours will not have all of them)(1) Test Switch for the Alert Indicators(2) Air Inlet Heater Starting Aid(3) Light Switch(4) Transmission Control(5) Steering Column Tilt Lever(6) Gauges(7) Directional Turn Signal and Hazard Flasher(8) Dimmer Switch(9) Engine Start Switch(10) Front Windshield Wiper/Washer Switch(11) Secondary Steering Test Switch(12) Rear Windshield Wiper/Washer Switch(13) Governor Control(14) Joystick Controls(15) Rotating Beacon Switch(16) Transmission Neutralizer Override Switch(17) Service Hour Meter(18) Fourth Function Control(19) Traction Control(20) Ether Starting Aid Switch(21) Parking Brake Control(22) Service Brake Controls(23) Quick Coupler Control(24) Air Conditioning Control(25) Rear Defroster Control(26) Fan Speed Control(27) Bucket/Fork Selector Control(28) Kickout and Positioner Control(29) Temperature Control Switch(30) Ride Control or Load Check Switch(31) Autoshift Control
Number 28 is the possible location of the kickout switch.
The yellow G728 wire connects to the detent switch at the bottom of the console (RED lever)Then becomes a white wire marked F766 and powers all the sensors.The lift sensor will send power back to the latching solenoid on the gray wire 761.Look for the lights. They must change when the magnet that is used to set the kickout adjustment passes by. If they do not, check the adjustment or try a different magnet. If still does not change, replace the sensor.
Let me know how your testing goes and if you need further help. Thanks, Donnie
Thank you, ***** ***** test it out tomorrow
ok
Ok, if I pull the lockout up, it just makes nothing on the joy stick work, but when I push down on the joystick with it in lockout, the joystick does not hank up in the lower position.
Also, the only switches I have are auto shift, natural brake, either, pre heater, ac, my coupler switch, and one 3 way rocker that has an I, O, and auto as the 3 positions.the auto or "O" positions seem to do nothing, but On "I" it will go into float when I push the joystick down, but still as soon as I push down a little on the joystick, it's like some daemon pushes the joystick all the way down and I have to jerk it back up. It oddly enough does this when I pull up on the joystick, but only sometimes. Also, this happened all the sudden after the loader had sit for 3 weeks, if that helps
Thanks Donnie, I got it fixed.
what you sent me wasn't the problem, but your info helped me eliminate any electrical issue, then I went to mechanical and all that was wrong was the plate under the boot of the joy stick was riding too high above the 4 buttons that the plate pushes down and that allowed the buttons to come up too far and were jamming when I moved the joystick. A simple adjustment of the plate and it's as good as new.
Thanks for your help and when you respond, send me wat I need to get you credit for the help,
Thanks again. JIM
Glad to hear you found the problem. If you need help again please feel free to ask for me. I will be glad to help.To close this question and credit me, just provide a rating and that will complete the process. Regards, Donnie
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician